Chemistry of life
Scarlett & Chris
Water and its characteristics
Cohesion- is when a substance unites together and forms a whole.
A pH- is a scale based on concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution.
Polarity - It's Positive and Negative. The flow of a current is from (+) to (-).
If water goes down a stream. You can't reverse it.
Heat storage - is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of an object by one degree Kelvin.
Adhesion is the tendency for particles that are unalike to cling to each other.
Cohesion is the tendency for particles that are alike to cling together.
- Macromolecules have many atoms in them.
- All macromolecules that are organic have carbon in them and their are four types of them.
- They are lipids, nucleic acids,carbohydrates and proteins.
- Proteins are made up by about twenty different amino acids.
- Proteins are in each and every cell in your body.
- Proteins are nutrients that supply the body with energy.
- A type of protein is called keratin and it makes up hair.
- Proteins change into different shapes and it determines how it interacts with things in the body.
- Some proteins help muscles function or us to stay alive.
- Carbs are made of oxygen, carbon and hydrogen.
- Carbs are a main source of energy in your every day life.
- Carbs provide energy for the body and helps breakdown fatty acids.
- Some food with carbs are bread, dried fruit, candy and fructose .
- Nucleic acids are long chains of smaller molecules called nucleotides.
- Nucleotides have three parts which are a sugar, a base and a phosphate group.
- There are three types of nucleic acids RNA, DNA and ATP
- RNA promotes chemical reactions like an enzyme
- DNA stores hereditary information
- ATP breaks down the food molecules inside of cells.