By Peter Johnson and Nayelli Tejada
How are they abused?
- Taking someone else's medicine
- Taking it just to get high
- Taking it when not prescribed
How do they affect the brain?
The affects will depend on the prescription drug used. Some act like heroin and depress the body functions. Others will work like cocaine and stimulate the body.
What are other affects of prescription drugs?
- When using opioids it will cause you to be sleep, sick to the stomach, and constipated. Over doses Will cause hard breathing and even death.
- When using stimulants it will cause you to be paranoid, and will cause the body to have dangerous high temperatures and abnormal heart rate that is way to fast.
Can you get addicted?
Yes, it is possible to become addicted. The drugs may cause physical dependence that can become an addiction.
Can you die from use?
You can die from using prescription drugs. In fact, more than half of the drug overdose deaths is cause from prescription drug abuse.
How many teens abuse this drug?
Prescription drugs are most commonly abused by Americans aged 14 and older, after marijuana and alcohol. In 2015 approximately 18.3% of 12th graders have abused prescription drugs in there lifetime.
What should you do if someone needs help?
If you, or someone you know needs help with abuse call the following numbers.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK
- Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator at 1-800-622-HELP
What classification does prescription drugs belong in?
The classification of prescription drugs is Narcotics.