District 97 Vision
Please click on the above link to see highlights from this past week. We are working to create a positive learning environment that is equitable, inclusive and focused on the whole child. No need to have a twitter account to view!
Brooks News to Know
Tuesday, March 20th District Institute Day
Spring Break Dates
PARCC Testing will conclude this week.
During the testing window in March, you can help your student do his/her best by:
1) Making sure, if possible, that your student attends school on the days of testing
2) Making sure your student gets a good night’s sleep before testing
3) Providing breakfast on the morning of testing
4) Reminding your student to ask the teacher questions if he/she does not understand the test directions
5) Letting your student know that you have confidence in his/her ability to do his/her best
6) Advising your student not to worry about the test—just do the best he/she can.
7) Reminding your student to bring ear buds for testing
8) Reminding your student to make sure their chromebook is charged each night
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your student’s teacher or one of our Assistant Principals who are responsible for coordinating the PARCC testing: Angelica Kamysz (email@example.com) or Michelle Reed (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Brooks and Julian have been named Distinguished Schools for Project Lead the Way!
PLTW Program Recognition Honoring Gwendolyn Brooks Middle School and Percy Julian Middle School
Brooks is one of just 340 PLTW schools across the country to receive this recognition! The PLTW recognition program is designed to honor districts and schools committed to increasing student access, engagement, and achievement in their PLTW programs.
To view all PLTW Distinguished Districts and Schools, click here.
7th grade trip to Springfield
The registration deadline was Thursday, March 15.
In order to register with World Strides, you can:
- Call World Strides directly (800-468-5899) - OR -
- Click World Strides to register online
- Please refer to Trip #149246
- The trip cost is $115 and you will be required to pay the entire amount.
- Cost includes: transportation, entrance fees for the museums, and dinner
- If you are in need of financial assistance, please email Janorisè Robinson.
SAVE THE DATE: Parent Meeting Date TBD
Trip Date: Friday, April 20, 2018
Easy ways to sign-up for the trip:
- Online: worldstrides.com/signup
- Phone: (800) 468-5899
Questions: contact Janorisè Robinson at email@example.com
Divco News & Information
Art Start @ Brooks
HERE is a link to the OPEF Flickr page with a few of the photos.
The students were engaged with each other while working on their photography skills.
Some of the photos will be hung at the village hall here in Oak Park..
Brooks Alumni & Student Recognitions
Tech Opportunities for Middle School Girls
Saturday, March 24th at Triton College from 8:30am to 4pm. Cost $10 per person. See attached flyer for more information with details on how to register (limited to first 200 registrants)https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6gnevA1fHdWWVVfeHcxb1VIemphUHppTktpTDVmeDg5R1Qw/view?usp=sharing
Oak Park Public Library starts the "Spark Forward" Newsletter
A teen created newsletter featuring poetry, short stories, essays, comics, and art sponsored by the Oak Park Library. See flyer for more information: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6gnevA1fHdWbzNqcjFvRzExSFA5RjdPUndUNDlFMThjZy1N/view?usp=sharing
8th Grade Family High School Transition Information
Here is link to OPRFHS Transition PowerPoint shared at their January meeting with 8th grade families.
Recognizing Staff who Make a Difference
Thank you to those who have completed this form to recognize a GBMS staff member. All individuals receive a printed certificate highlighting your appreciation for their contributions!
Please be sure your background check has been completed if you'd like to volunteer to chaperone Field Trips
Sports and Club Information
Service Club - Penny Challenge
Each advisory class will earn a point for every penny in its collection box. However, other classes can put in their silver and green money to deduct points from the total! (i.e. If you have 100 pennies and one quarter, your total is $ .75. At the end of the challenge, the advisory with the most points wins! We will have a winning advisory from each grade level and the prize is lunch from Olive Garden!! Please help us raise more than our goal of $750!! If you have any questions please email Ms Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org. Don't forget to send your students to school with their pockets full of all the extra change you have laying around! Thank you for all of your continued support.
1) Please make sure the boys have their uniform and a pair of GBMS gym shorts for their games.
2) The JV will play at 4 and the Varsity will play right after(usually around 4:45ish). Next week they will switch playing time.
3) For all games we will provide a bus to and from the games. At home games you can take your player right after the game. At away games if you will be taking them from the game PLEASE HAVE THEM SIGN OUT WITH THEIR COACH. Otherwise we will take the bus and be back at Brooks around 6ish.
4) They will miss a portion of 9th period on away games, they are still responsible for their work. They will have to be responsible and talk to their 9th period teachers.
5) Generally there will not be practice on game days.
JV schedule for the week
Monday 3/19: Home game at 4pm
Tuesday 3/20: Nothing, catch up on homework.
Weds 3/21: Away game at MacArthur
Thursday 3/22: Away game at Heritage Summit.
Friday 3/23: Practice 7:15a,
CLUB OPPORTUNITIES (can join anytime)
Each club meets weekly, unless otherwise notated below.
- ORFF Ensemble from 8:00am to 8:50am in D104 (first meeting was on 9/18). Participation is open to all students - no audition required, but enrollment is limited to 40 students. Interested students can sign-up and pick up permission slips outside of the music room (D104). For additional information contact Mr. Carrillo - email@example.com. Still opportunity to join.
- Ultimate Frisbee We will only meet on Mondays for the second trimester. Still 3:30-4:40 and meeting in the third floor gym. We plan on playing different types of frisbee activities in the third floor gym or the main gym when available. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Dajani at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Gillespie at email@example.com. (Weather Permitting)
- Spoken Word from 3:30pm to 5:30 pm in room B205. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org
- EcoEagles from 3:30pm to 4:30pm in room C302. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Stamp at email@example.com.
- Chess Club from 3:30 to 4:45 in room B305. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Hausfeld at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vex Robotics In-House League from 3:30 to 5 pm in room B302, 1/9/18 to 3/13/18 with Robot Rumble on 3/10/18. You can learn more by viewing flyer or OPEF VexRobotics website. or if you have any questions, please email Ms. Pena at email@example.com
- Rainbow Tribe after school until 4:30 in 2nd floor conference room next to PE classroom. Permission slip found here. Here are the dates club will meet: April: 10,24 and May: 8, 22, 29
If you have any questions, please email Ms. Olsen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish Club from 3:30 to 4:30pm in room B308. Here are all the Spanish club meeting dates for the year: 3/22, 4/12, 4/26, 5/10, 5/24. If you have any questions please contact Mr. Lagioia at email@example.com or Ms. Villalobos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yearbook Club meeting from 3:30 to 4:30pm in room B202. We will meet every Thursday afternoon until the yearbook has been “put to bed." The yearbook goes to the publisher on April 25. We welcome all shutterbugs! If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Marsha Turner-Reid at email@example.com or Ms. Meaghan Pabellon at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guitar Club & Dance Studio are ongoing - registration forms are due to the BRAVO Office (D103). Open to ALL Brooks Students and is FREE to join! For more info visit: bravoperformingarts.org
- NEEDED: Pizza lunch volunteers on Friday. Keep an eye out for sign-ups on the BRAVO website!days from 10:55am-1:15pm. E-mail email@example.com if you are available and interested!
Get connected to PTO
Earn money for the Brooks PTO: When you shop at Amazon, begin your shopping through the link here and our PTO will earn 0.5% of your total sale, at no expense to you. First time Amazon Smile shoppers will find our organization by typing Gwendolyn Brooks Middle School Parent-Teacher Organization. Thank you for your continued support.
Subscribe to PTO Bulletin:
- The link to subscribe for families is http://eepurl.com/cgOObT
Next Community meeting is Monday, April 9th, 2018 at 7pm in the media center.
Next Coffee with Capuder is Friday, April 13th, 2018 at 8:30am to 9:30am in the Commons. Topic for conversation - Technology
Next DIVCO meeting is Wednesday, March 21st at 6:30 to 7:30 pm in the commons to discuss and plan incoming 6th grade transition event.