The Civil Court
The perfect guide for all new clients
Being part of the law firm
- In the law firm you are able to be a plaintiff, this is the person who brings a case against another in a court of law.
- Defendants are the people convicted of the crime.
- You are also able to create a document called a complaint, which sets out the facts and legal reasons.
- As a member of the law firm, you can summon suspects which is when you order them to appear before a judge.
- Pleadings, a formal statement of the cause of an action or defense, are very important in the law firm.
- Pretrial Conferences are meetings of the judge and the lawyers to discuss which matters should be presented to the jury.
- Mediation is a way of resolving disputes with two or more parties.
- A technique called arbitration resolves disputes outside of the courts.
- The trial is a key thing in the law firm. Trials are where people get together and discuss if the suspect is guilty or innocent in a case of criminal or civil proceedings.
- The preponderance of evidence is the greater weight of the evidence required in a civil lawsuit to decide in favor of one side or the other.
- Verdicts are decisions on a disputed issue in a civil or criminal case.
- In some cases you may have to appeal, which is when you apply to a higher court for a reversal of the decision of the lower court.