Holy Name of Mary Catholic School, April 2019
March went out like a lion this year, giving us one final blast of snow and freezing rain on the very last day of the month. Fortunately, it looks like the warmer weather will finally arrive this week.
Students will need to wear rubber boots for the next little while, as the school yard tends to be quite mucky at this time of year. Hooded spring jackets are also great for when we get sprinkled with a little rain during recess.
We would like to extend a warm welcome to Megan Richards, who is our new morning secretary. If you would like to communicate your child's absence by email, you can contact Megan at Megan.Richards@cdsbeo.on.ca. Please also cc Mrs. Lenouvel at Lauren.Lenouvel@cdsbeo.on.ca.
Sacrament of Confirmation
Thank you so much to our celebrants, the Most Rev. Christian Riesbeck and Father Paul Gaudet. Thank you also to Cheryl Martin, Christina Humber, Maureen Gareau, Louise Laplante and Julia Martin who gave of their time and gifts in the preparation of the students for the Sacrament of Confirmation and for making this a very special day and memorable time for the candidates in their journey of faith.
Grade 8 Update
- Our Grade 8 students will have their Graduation Photos taken in the morning on Wednesday, April 3, 2019. Photos will be taken on a green screen. This gives you the opportunity to choose from many different backgrounds once you receive your proofs. Please do not wear green, as this ruins the magic! Students should arrive wearing a white collared shirt & tie or a blouse and their hair styled the way they like it. Students can also bring a prop (e.g. football, musical instrument) and their regular clothing for a few casual poses.
- The Grade 7/8 year-end trip will be held at Camp Iawah on Wednesday, June 5th.
- The Grade 8 Clap Out will take place at 3:00pm on Tuesday, June 25th.
- We will host a Grade 8 Graduation Breakfast at the school on the morning of Wednesday, June 26th.
- The Grade 8 Graduation Ceremony will be held at Holy Name of Mary Parish at 6:30pm on Wednesday, June 26th. A reception will follow at the Church.
Catholic School Council Meeting
Professional Activity Day
Here are a variety of Lenten Activities that you can do as a family over the next three weeks. Please click this link to see a larger version of the calendar below.
Kindergarten Fluoride Treatment
Earth Week ECO Days
Did you know that Holy Name of Mary became a GOLD level Certified Ontario Eco School last year? We are very proud of this achievement, and we are working hard to maintain it!
This year we are celebrating Earth Week this year by taking small steps to help our planet. All students are invited to join us in the following Earth Week activities:
- Monday, April 15th - Re-useable Water Bottle Day
- Tuesday, April 16th - Lights Out Canada Day
- Wednesday, April 17th - Butterfly Bake Sale
- Thursday, April 18th - Take Me Outside Day
- Monday, April 22nd - Earth Day (Easter Monday)
Healthy Mouth: 101
New Resource for Youth! Our mouth is the link to our entire bodies and overall health. How well we clean our teeth, what we choose to eat and drink, and our personal habits all have a major impact on our oral health. It is important for youth to know that tobacco, alcohol, drugs, and sexual activity can have an impact on their oral health as well. To learn how these aspects of our lifestyle can affect the teeth and tissues of our mouth, check out “Healthy Mouth: 101”
Triple P Parenting
Did you know? Triple P Parenting has an ONLINE program for parents of toddlers through tweens. Get parenting strategies in your PJs! Learn WHEN you want, WHERE you want! Here’s what one parent says https://youtu.be/Gkz-YYNqH-Y . To sign up at no cost, call 1-800-660-5853 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. What will your happier home look like?
Let’s talk about your social support system
Did you know who you spend time with can support your health? Healthy relationships and the opportunity to share in community life is a social determinant of health. In Leeds, Grenville and Lanark, 71% of people report having a strong sense of community. Who do you enjoy time with or turn to for help? Family, friend, neighbour, co-worker, fellow parishioner, community service provider? For more information on social support systems, visit www.healthunit.org or call 1-800-660-5853.
Lyme Disease is Preventable
Please visit www.SchoolWear.ca/HNM to order your spiritwear! Orders can be delivered to the school for free or to your home for a fee and are usually processed in 4 weeks.