Also, the farming land was rapidly vanishing, thus causing farmers to have no place to put their livestock or any land to farm. This caused them to lose a lot of money and often to go broke. They also left because the new crowds had brought rowdy gangs of people causing the English to fear for their families.
- Left England to escape Divorce Scandal
- Became major business man in Texas
- Owned a ranch near Big Springs Texas
- Started a hotel and bought a saloon (bar) there and by doing so he helped populate the rather small area
- Played a major role in starting the cattle drive buying a little more than $40,000 in cattle and sold them after his death only at$750
Anson Brothers Claud,Frank, and William
- Claud invested in cattle east of San Angelo starting the cattle trade in Central Texas
- Their brother Billy was the greatest promoter of quarter horses
- Billy bred English Sires(Male) and Texas Mires(Female)
- The horses were so incredible that during the Boer War (1899) in South Africa the British there started a contract with the Anson Brothers with the Brothers
- The Anson Brothers shipped over 20,00 horses to South Africa
- They also started the sport of Polo in Texas
- The Anson Brothers are remembered as promoters of horses in Texas
Trivia (Did you know that...?)
- Did you know that between the years of 1865 and 1890 the English bought over 23 million acres of land?
- Did you know that the many from all the land purchases helped fund the building state capital in Austin ?
- Did you know that the English introduced barbed wire, electric fences, steel windmills, deep wells, dipping vats?
- Did you know that the English money was a huge helper in Texas recoveingr from the Civil War?
- Did you know that by the end of the 1700's 60% of all Americans were of English descent?
- Did you know that there were 6 minor emprassarios before and after the revolution that were of English Descendant?
Culture Group Affects Analysis Paragraph
English Texans still exist today through out North Texas and celebrate traditional English festivals to this day.
English Affect on Texas (Analysis)
The contributions to the future they made are listed in the following sentences. They created inventions such as the electric fence and barbed wire. Without those inventions, keeping cattle in one place would have been impossible. The land purchases they made (of over 23 million acres) helped spread out the population and funded the project of building the state capitol in Austin. The Anson Brothers made horses available to all Texans. Without the horses, Texans would not have been able gather all the cattle or communicate effectively. An English man named Finch helped cattle become available to everyone, which later started the cattle drive. Their biggest contribution to Texas was helping war torn Texas, pay it's debts after the Civil War. Another big contribution the English made was the passing down the concept of English Common Law which helped Texans create a less biased judicial system.
As you can see English immigration helped Texas by creating new laws, starting the cattle revolution, and helped pay off major debts. In conclusion I believe that English Texans had a very good affect on Texas.
""Gone To Texas - Immigration of Cultures." Www.texancultures.edu. Institute of Texan Cultures, 1 Feb. 2003. Web. Fall 2012.
Welcome to the Very Merry Theatre." Welcome to the Very Merry Theatre. Very Merry Theatre, Spring 2012. Web. 12 Feb. 2013. http://www.verymerrytheatre.org/.
Wikipedia. "Polo." Wikipedia. N.p., 9 Feb. 2013. Web. 10 Feb. 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polo.
"Apple Pie." All Recipes. Gramdma Ople, 2012. Web. 10 Feb. 2013. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople.
"Texas Panhandle." Wikipedia. Wikimedia, Mar. 2007. Web. 11 Feb. 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Texas_Panhandle.PNG>.
English Culture Group