Meet Me in the Middle
NWMS Counseling Newsletter: Term 1, 2022
Dates to Remember
Fall Break: Oct 13, 14 No School
Parent/Family Conferences: Oct 20: 5-7
College, Career, Community Event: Oct 20: 5-7
Plan for College & Carreer Readiness (PCCR) in classes Oct 26,27 in History Classes
At-home Learning Day: Nov 1 (student learning but not at school building)
End of Term 1: Nov 4
Thanksgiving Break: Nov 23-25 No School
Health Benefits of Gratitude
When was the last time you stopped to really acknowledge the things you’re thankful for? There’s a whole host of reasons why we should make gratitude a daily practice — research has shown that being thankful confers a whole host of health benefits, from improved immune systems, to feelings of connectedness, even higher team morale.
1. Good for the heart. A 1995 study in the American Journal of Cardiology showed that appreciation and positive emotions are linked with changes in heart rate variability.
2. Good for the immune system. Gratefulness is linked with optimism, which in turn is linked with better immun health WebMD reported.
3. Reduces stress. WebMD reported that negative events can boost gratitude, and that gratitude can help to boost feelings of belonging and decrease feelings of stress. For example, a survey showed that feelings of gratitude were at high levels after 9/11, according to WebMD.
4. Strengthens relationships. Being thankful for the little things your partner does could make your relationship stronger, according to a study in the journal Personal Relationships. The Telegraph reported on the study, which showed that journaling about the thoughtful things your partner did was linked with a beneficial outcome on the relationship.
5. Improves sleep. Writing down what you’re thankful for as you drift off to sleep can help you get better ZZs, according to a study in the Journal of Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being.
6. Higher Grades. Grateful middle-schoolers have higher GPA's— as well as better social integration and satisfaction with life — than their not-grateful counterparts, according to a 2010 study in the Journal of Happiness Studies.
Northwest Counseling Center
Nereida Beltrán (A-F) x 1403
Dan Sachse (G-M) x 1402
Tra'Cee Brothers (N-Z) x1404
*Counselor assignment based on Last Name
8th Grade PCCR's: Plan for College and Career Readiness
High School is around the corner and there are many differences. Post High School has so many paths to explore for options. We would love to sit down with you and your student to discuss the possibilities. The more knowledge you have; options you are aware of, the better informed decision you can make. Let us help you. Call your student's counselor to set up a meeting now. We will also be available during Parent Teacher Conferences, Oct. 20.
Take Care Utah
Salt Lake City Library
Need Homework Help?
Students can get free online tutoring help with their City Library card. Just log in with your card number and pin at slcpl.org/digitallibrary
HelpNow's features include:
- Homework Help Interact with live tutors in math, science, reading/writing, social studies, PSAT/SAT, ACT, AP and state standardized tests.
- Skills-Building Choose your topic to receive real-time help.
- Personalized eLearning Tools My File Sharing, My Session Replay, My Tutoring Archive, My Tests Archive, and more!
- 24-Hour Writing Lab Submit essays and other forms of writing for constructive feedback.
- Homework Send Question Submit homework questions for expert guidance.
- Adult Learning Center Access a library of rich adult learning content (GED) and live, professional assistance in resume/cover letter writing, U.S. citizenship prep, MS Office Essential Skills Series, and more!
- Foreign Language Lab /Spanish-Speaking Support
You can also check out books and other materials, access computers, and attend fun, free events at your local library. Check out slcpl.org for more information!
NW Middle School Food Pantry
Rose Park Neighborhood Center
-English Groups (morning and evening)
-Digital Literacy Groups
-Space for Community Events
-After School Program for 8th-12th grade
-Walk-in services and more!
Monday -Thursday from 10 am -7 pm
Rose Park Neighborhood Center
754 North 800 West
SLC, UT 84116