Week of January 3, 2016
When you're in your home, be in your home. When you're in your classroom, be in your classroom.
Pace yourself. Prioritize your time.
Evaluate your life: Pick 1 thing you can do without & create space by subtracting it.
January 3, 2016
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I hope that you took time to recharge over winter break. This break was exactly what I needed after a busy semester of writing paper after paper for my Ed.S. program. There is light at the end of the tunnel - I graduate this spring! I had a severe sinus infection most of the break and used my time in bed to read a book that I HIGHLY recommend: The Zen Teacher: Creating focus, simplicity, and tranquility in the classroom by Dan Tricarico.
"Whenever you feel stressed or paralyzed by the unrelenting, unending dysfunction of the education machine, give yourself permission to stop, breathe, detach from unnecessary expectations and judgments, and remind yourself to just
I included a few quotes from the book in the pictures above. Please let me know if you would like to borrow it. It can be read in an hour.
Sue and Angie worked over the break. Special thanks to them for shining up the floors and moving office furniture for the new carpet!
Our students may take a few days to get back into the swing of things and this is the PERFECT time to review classroom expectations with them.
MTSS groups will be held this week. Testing will begin next week. The testing schedule can be accessed on this link. Winter data meetings will take place January 27th and 28th. The data meeting schedule is HERE. Please complete STAR and DRA2 testing by January 26th. We should be ready to start new MTSS groups the first week of February. Please let me know what questions you have.
Leaders of the Month
Please submit the names of your December Leaders of the Month HERE ASAP
The week ahead...
Monday, January 4
- I am taking a family medical in the afternoon.
- Join #COLchat at 9PM ET with all new topics this year!
Wednesday, January 6
- STAFF MEETING CANCELED
- I will be at GISD to attend a meeting for administrators about the newly adopted science standards.
- 5th Grade Marshall Music Visit 1:00-3:15
Thursday, January 7
- 9:30-10:30 I will be at central office for a meeting about kdg round-up
- GAO - Great American Opportunities Assembly 2:45 in the gym. Information will be shared about a fundraiser and this assembly should last 25 minutes.
Friday, January 8
- Bright Smiles Forms Due
- Bright Smiles is coming to Morrish on Monday, January 11th.
- PTO Meeting on Tuesday, January 12th.
- January 20th: The Leader In Me Book Study Staff meeting (Chapter 5)
- February: Global School Play Day! Sign your class up HERE!
Happy New Year!
Swartz Creek Community Schools
MISSION: Swartz Creek Community Schools inspires our learners to embrace challenges, set goals, grow their talents, and realize their dreams for success in a global society.
VISION: Swartz Creek Community Schools provides a world class education through innovative experiences while developing the unique talents of our learners.BELIEF STATEMENTS:
- We believe in a culture of learning.
- We believe that student learning should be the primary goal for all decisions made affecting the school district.
- We believe the climate and culture of the school is engaging, nurturing, challenging, and inspires students to express their personal ideas.
- We believe curriculum is integrated, differentiated, meaningful, and pertinent to life.
- We believe in culturally relevant education that provides the knowledge and skills to meet the global challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century.
- We believe in continuous improvement informed by critical evaluation and reflection.
- We believe expanding technologies enrich how teachers teach and students learn.
- We believe in building relationships and sharing resources with our community, parents, and staff members.