Energy Flow Through the Ecosystem
case study: Swiss Alpine Food Web
What we need to know/do
- What is energy used for and where does it come from?
- How is energy moved (and lost) through an ecosystem?
- Construct a fully labelled food web
- Calculate energy loss (as a percentage) from the food web
- Explain how decrease in populations can cause changes in an ecosystem
How big is the Sun?
Plants use this energy to make food (sugars) in a chemical reaction called photosynthesis.
These plants are then eaten by animals and so the energy is passed on
These animals are eaten by other animals....and the energy is passed on again!
What is energy used for?
Herbivore - animals that eat plants
Carnivore - animals that eat animals
Omnivore - animals that eat plants AND animals