Colerain All Stars Newsletter
Week of Feb 14th
- Lunch Menu - new lunch menu posted below
- Colerain PTA Meeting - Wednesday, February 16th @ 6p - https://zoom.us/j/6539728100?pwd=QW8rMVJnZGluZmxtQkVXeCtacnUwQT09
- Parent/Teacher Conferences - Thursday, February 17th. - sign ups are being sent/emailed. See Tips/Tricks section below.
- Elementary School Choice Fair - Thursday, Feb 17th @ 6p. See details below on how to access zooms to learn more CCS Elementaries that you may want to select for lottery purposes.
- NO SCHOOL - Monday, February 21st - compensation day for teachers/staff for after hours parent/teacher conferences.
Black History Month
This year's Black History Month Theme is "Black Health and Wellness". Go here to learn more: https://asalh.org/black-history-themes/
Use this link to access books that honor black lives. Click on the book cover/image to be linked to a read-aloud. Click on the blue hyperlink below the book cover/image to purchase books. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1C36tOnyg1kqCT1XA_T7Z7gufPs7Dm2tMQXURcXjo0yY/edit?usp=sharing
An interactive Black History Month Calendar is also included below. Click on each day to learn more about black history.
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
Colerain Robotic Club - Pictures of students designing and building robots
- Elementary School Fair - Thursday, February 17th 6p - 7:30p - zoom links for each school can be found here: https://www.ccsoh.us/Page/11220
- High School & Middle School Lottery Applications: DUE BY - Monday, February 28, 2022.
- Request to Return to Homeschool Applications: DUE BY - Tuesday, March 22, 2022. - this applies to our lottery and overflow families.
- Elementary School Lottery Applications: DUE BY - Thursday, March 31, 2022
All applications must be submitted via the Parent Portal https://www.ccsoh.us/Domain/188
SAVE THE DATE
Thursday, February 24, 6 to 7:30 PM
This will be a virtual event, the link will be available on the DMS website the day of the orientation. Unlike in years past, students will NOT be registering for elective classes during this orientation. HOWEVER, they will be learning about teachers and classes (including electives) to feel more comfortable registering for classes/electives later in the Spring.
UPDATED: COVID Guidelines
- ODH no longer requires universal contact tracing in schools and recommends that the “Mask to Stay” guidance, which Columbus City Schools as been using, stay in place. The most updated version of “Mask to Stay” does not require students and Staff to quarantine for community exposures to COVID-19.
- New guidance from ODH recommends that if student is exposed to COVID-19 in their household or out in the community, they no longer have to quarantine at home and may continue to come to work they have no signs or symptoms of illness and can wear a well-fitting mask. People exposed to COVID-19 should closely monitor for symptoms for following the exposure. If you develop any symptoms, even mild ones, get tested and isolate until you know the results.
Launching Your Middle Schooler to Success - PART 4
Part 4: Stay positive during homework time
- Homework can be tough on everyone after a long day. Keep the mood fun and loving.
- Show that you care. Listen for the root of the problem and help them focus on solutions
- Don't wait until frustration is at a 10! Talk about how to calm down when things get tough.
Pathways Express - FEBRUARY
- FREE Admission and activities every weekend February
- Destination #2 is the Columbus Museum of Art. More details here: https://www.ccsoh.us/Page/11237
- Just present "GREEN" Tickets when you arrive. Tickets were sent home in backpacks
How to Prepare for Parent/Teacher Conferences
Conversation Starts for P/T Conferences:
Great questions to get the conversation going!
- Could you show me how you work on this in class?
- Can you suggest ways for me to help?
- How do you usually try to help students understand better?
- Is there any way to break the assignment down more?
- How can we work collaboratively?
FREE MOBILE PRODUCE MARKETS
Free Mobile Produce Markets start Feb. 4 at the following community centers and run through December. Both walk-in and drive-thru options are available. The amount of fresh produce distributed to each family is approximately a one-week supply based on the family size.
Distribution at all sites begins at 3 p.m. and runs while supplies last.
- Scioto Southland & Feddersen: First Friday of each month
- Adams & Dodge: Second Thursday of each month
- Barnett & Beatty Second Friday of each month
- Holton & Tuttle: Third Thursday of each month
- Far East & Linden: Third Friday of each month
- Marion Franklin: Fourth Thursday of each month
Power of One & Portrait of a Graduate
POWER OF ONE
- The "Power of One" is the District's Strategic 5-year plan. It will support the District's Mission, Vision, and the NEW Portrait of a Graduate. One of its 5 priorities is "Authentic Engagement". We must ensure all families feel welcomed to dinner.
PORTRAIT OF A GRADUATE
The "Portrait of a Graduate" is the District’s “north star” that ensures we prepare students for success, now and in the future. The Portrait is a collective vision that articulates our community’s aspirations for every student in Columbus City Schools.
More details on these coming soon...
- FREE Vaccine Locations (no appointment needed): see flyer below
- Ohio Department of Health: https://gettheshot.coronavirus.ohio.gov/
- Columbus Public Health: https://www.columbus.gov/c19vax/
- Children's Hospital: https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/family-resources-education/health-wellness-and-safety-resources/covid-19/vaccine
- Your Pediatrician: call them to see if they are providing vaccines yet
- Real Mom Nutrition (CCS mom and Family Ambassador)
- First Tee Central Ohio (FREE Golf Classes for CCS Students)
- Columbus Parks & Rec Summer Camp Registration (outdoor camp registration starts Thursday, February 24th at 7 pm indoor camp registration starts March 1st at 7 pm)
- Joseph's Coats (& household goods)
- Children's Advocacy Project
- Cota Plus (rides to and from your home...accessible vehicles per request)
- Black Mental Health
- Tutoring Resources
- Action for Children
- CCS Website
- CCS Parent Portal
- CCS Peach Jar Flyers (community resources)
- CCS School Year Calendar
- CCS Virtual Family Engagement Sessions (current and archived sessions)
- CCS Translated Documents
- CCS Health Hub
- CCS Quarantine Guidelines (and Flow Chart)
- Special Ed Parent Mentor Program
Colerain Family Ambassador - Matt Dixon
The Family Ambassador is a liaison that facilitates partnerships, between families and the school, that support student academic success and well being.
If you have any questions, ideas, or feedback, please reach out to me either phone or email.