Volume 3, Issue 23 - January 10, 2021
A Message from Dr. Lowry
Good Afternoon WoodCreek Family!
It was a great first week back, and I enjoyed visiting many classrooms to engage with our students and was happy to see their smiling faces. While this year has been filled with challenges, it is exciting to think we are halfway through this school year.
Please make sure you take some time to review’s this week’s Timberwolf Times as it includes a link to make a Teacher of the Year nomination, news about our amazing band students, and information about an exciting Grade Level Battle that starts next week to benefit the Katy ISD Education Foundation! There are also lots of important reminders and links to district programs and information.
Dr. Andrew Lowry
WoodCreek Junior High
This Week in Timberwolf Nation
Monday, January 11
- WCJH Spirit Day - Wear your Timberwolf Gear!
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball vs Cinco Ranch - at CRJH
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball vs Cinco Ranch - at WCJH
Tuesday, January 12
- WCJH Spelling Bee
Wednesday, January 13
- Happy Hump Day!
Thursday, January 14
- WCJH PTA General Membership Meeting
- 7th Grade Boys Basketball vs Cinco Ranch - at WCJH
- 8th Grade Boys Basketball vs Cinco Ranch - at CRJH
Friday, January 15
- College Spirit Day - Wear your favorite school's gear!
- Time: 7:00 AM (later than 7:15 arrival will not be admitted).
- Dates: Mon - Fri, January 11th - 15th.
- Where: Room 1173 (NOTE change in location)
- Use the back entrance where you enter for tutorials.
You must arrive by 7:15 AM, or you will not be able to test.
Reminder - No Student Item Drop-Offs
If your student forgets their lunch, they will be able to get a lunch in the cafeteria. (Lunches are currently free for all students due to a grant given to the district.)
WoodCreek Junior High Teacher of the Year
Please click here for the nomination form. We look forward to announcing our 2020-21 Teacher of the Year!
WCJH Students Named to All-Region Band
From Bobby Guess, WCJH Band Director:
I hope everyone is enjoying the start of 2021!! This fall, we had over 70 students submit audition recordings for the TMEA Region 23 MS/JH All-Region Band. Region 23 consists of Katy ISD, Aleif ISD, and Houston ISD. We are so proud of ALL of our students’ hard work in preparing the audition materials. The students below were awarded chairs in this year’s All-Region Band. These students will be featured in a virtual Region 23 Band performance later this Spring. Congratulations!
Nick Garner, flute
Andrea Caballero, flute
Ashlyn Lee, flute
Nicholas Bailey, clarinet
Ethan Carroll, clarinet
Luis Patino, bass clarinet
Cayden Espinoza, alto sax
Julian Olson, trumpet
Frank Zhang, horn
Olisa Torola, horn
Caden Redding, trombone
Zachary Matthews, percussion
Allison Briggs, percussion
Free and Reduced Lunch Application
Due to the impact of COVID-19, Katy ISD is providing a free breakfast and lunch to all students through the end of June. However, since the free meal waiver for all students expires on June 30, we want to make sure that students who were eligible for free and reduced meals last school year continue to receive free meals as we continue into the start of the new school year. Student meal eligibility also contributes to additional funding for your child’s campus and the district.
The Free & Reduced Lunch application can be completed in your student’s SchoolCafe account here.
Face to Face Student Health Protocols
All students should complete a daily self-screening for symptoms prior to arriving to school or boarding a school bus.
- All students are provided daily guidance on proper hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and social distancing.
- All students are required to wear a facial covering upon arrival to school and dismissal, when riding a bus, in hallways, common areas and in classrooms.
- All facial coverings should cover the nose and mouth.
- All students must be up to date with state require immunization compliance.
- All students are provided sanitizing wipes to clean work space before classroom instruction begins.
- All students are encouraged to use hand sanitizer before classroom instruction begins and ends.
- All students are seated with as much separation as feasible during the instructional day.
If a student lost their ID, a replacement must be purchased promptly. Students can purchase a new one for $3 by scanning this QR code and completing the form. They can also purchase a replacement lanyard for an additional $2.
Failure to follow these procedures can result in disciplinary consequences.
Please click here for our library procedures to check out library books.
Please keep in mind, these procedures may change depending on the needs of the school or due to a change in guidance from Katy ISD.
From the WCJH Counseling Team
Would you like to learn more about the WoodCreek Junior High counseling team? Are you interested in hearing more about the services our counseling department has to offer? Would you like to discover some helpful parenting resources? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should visit the WCJH Counselor Website by clicking this link or on the picture below: https://woodcreekcounselor.weebly.com/
Katy ISD Legacy Parent Academy
January 20, 2021 - Destigmatizing Mental Health
The Katy ISD Legacy Parent Academy is a series of informational sessions specifically designed to assist parents by building awareness of a range of social-emotional and academic topics that impact our students and our campuses district-wide. Academy participants will gain factual knowledge pertinent to each topic while also learning strategies and proven techniques to assist in supporting students.
The next session os on Wednesday, January 20th with the topic "Destigmatizing Mental Health". Please click here for more information and to register.
FREE COVID TESTING FOR KATY ISD ENROLLED STUDENTS
Katy ISD is offering enrolled students free COVID-19 testing services beginning on Monday, November 9th at the Katy ISD Agricultural Sciences Center at 5801 Katy Hockley Cut-Off Rd.
Monday- Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Saturdays 8:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.
To help expedite free student COVID-19 testing, while practicing social distancing at the testing site, Katy ISD has established a Student COVID-19 Testing Sign-Up Form that allows families to secure an appointment time for their student(s). A direct link can be found on the Katy ISD homepage.
COVID-19 Self-Reporting APP - Notifications & Information
The District has a COVID-19 Reporting System in place to allow staff, students and parents to self-report if they have received a COVID-19 positive test result. The self-reporting system enables the District’s Emergency Management team to conduct contact tracing, as well as call and notify individuals in Katy ISD buildings who may have been directly exposed to the infected person. A general email notification is also sent to campus staff and families whenever the district is informed of a potential “indirect” COVID-19 exposure in their building. Receipt of the general notification alone indicates that the recipient was not in close contact to the COVID-19 positive case reported for their building.
Note About School/Athletic Bus Transportation & Rules
Students may only ride the bus they are assigned to at this time. Due to COVID 19 protocols, students will not be allowed to bring a note to school to ride the bus home with a friend. Parents may call transportation services for further inquiries on this matter.
Also due to COVID-19 protocols, students who normally would ride a bus to/from an athletic or other UIL/Extracurricular event have the opportunity to opt out and have a parent transport them instead. If you choose this option for your student, please click here to fill out the form.
Bus Rules for 2020-2021
- Mask/Face covering should be worn on the bus and the bus stop, until further notice.
- Observe the same conduct as in the classroom including cell phone use.
- Enter the bus and immediately go to the assigned seat.
- Talk in a normal tone of voice.
- Remain seated and facing forward in the assigned seat until time to exit the bus.
- Keep head, hands, feet, and other objects to oneself; do not tamper with bus equipment.
- Use acceptable language; obscene, profane, unacceptable language and/or gestures are prohibited.
- Refrain from eating and/or drinking on the bus; keep the bus clean.
- Refrain from throwing objects within the bus or out of the windows.
- Follow all rules outlined in the District’s Discipline Management Plan and Student Code of Conduct, as well as safety rules established by the driver.
- Arrive at your bus stop 5 minutes before the scheduled stop-time and wait a safe distance from where the bus stops. 5 giant steps away from the stop is a good rule.
- When the bus arrives, do not approach it until the bus has come to a complete stop. Form a single line and board the bus. Go directly to a seat and sit in a safe position. If seats are equipped with seatbelts, they must be worn at all times as required by law.
- When it is time to get off of the bus, wait until it comes to complete stop before getting up from your seat.
Contact Email and Questions
Be sure to visit the Katy ISD Smart Restart page often, as the district updates it frequently with the latest information about KVA, In-Person school, Athletics, Fine Arts, Safety Protocols, links to newsletters and more.
Katy Virtual Academy Questions
Special Education Questions
The PTA plays a vital role in our school - by sponsoring many of our important and fun activities and by supporting our teachers, staff, and students! Even in the midst of the changes we have this year on campus, we rely on our PTA for many things.
Don't miss out on any of it - click here to join the WoodCreek Junior High PTA!
PTA Gift Card Collection
Mission Statement: WoodCreek Junior High, in partnership with the community, parents, and students, will provide a safe, positive, engaging learning environment that is devoted to empowering each student to become a productive, responsible, respectful citizen while achieving academic excellence.
WCJH Administrative Team
Dr. Andrew Lowry Principal
Tim Chesser Assistant Principal - Student Support
Lauren Merriman Assistant Principal - 6th grade and 8th grade M-Z
Stephanie McDonald Assistant Principal - 7th grade and 8th grade A-L
Jodi Slaughter Counselor - 8th Grade
Brittany Waddell Counselor - 7th Grade
Jessie Clay Counselor - 6th Grade