5th Grade October News Letter
Volume 3 Issue 3
English Language Arts
- 5.RL.2- Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
- 5.RL.3- Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., how characters interact).
- 5.RI.4- Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.
- 5.L.2.E- Spell grade-appropriate words correctly, consulting references as needed.
- 5.L.2- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- 5.E2U1.7- Develop, revise, and use models based on evidence to construct explanations about the movement of the Earth and Moon within our solar system.
- 5.E2U1.8-Obtain, analyze, and communicate evidence to support an explanation that the gravitational force of Earth on objects is directed toward the planet’s center.
- 5.OA.1-Use parentheses, brackets, or braces in numerical expressions, and evaluate expressions with these symbols.
- 5.OA.A.2Write simple expressions that record calculations with numbers, and interpret numerical expressions without evaluating them. For example, express the calculation “add 8 and 7, then multiply by 2” as 2 × (8 + 7). Recognize that 3 × (18932 + 921) is three times as large as 18932 + 921, without having to calculate the indicated sum or product.
- 5.NBT.6-Find whole-number quotients of whole numbers with up to four-digit dividends and two-digit divisors, using strategies based on place value, the properties of operations, and/or the relationship between multiplication and division.
- SS.18.104.22.168- Describe the significance of the following events leading to the American Revolution. French and Indian War. Proclamation of 1763. Tea Act. Stamp Act. Boston Massacre. Intolerable Acts.
- 5.W.3- Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences
- 5.W.4- Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience. (Grade-specific expectations for writing types are defined in standards 1-3 above.)
October 10th Zagg Fundraiser Due
October 10th - 14th Fall Break
October 24th - 31st Spirt Week
October 28th- Trunk or Treat
October 31st- Halloween
Monday Oct. 24th: Wear Red to Pledge to stay drug and bully free!
Tuesday Oct. 25th: Team UP against drugs and bulling and wear Sports Jerseys or Apparel!
Wed. Oct. 26th: Dare to Prepare by staying drug and bully Free by wearing College or Career clothing!
Thursday. Oct 27th: Let's Keep the Peace, wear Peace Signs/Tie Dye to keep our school peaceful!
Friday Oct 28th: It is crazy to bully or do drugs so wear your crazy socks and sunglasses!
Monday Oct 31st: Say Boo to drugs and bulling and wear your school appropriate Halloween Costume!
Remember, no weapons (play or not), no masks we want to see your beautiful smiles, and use make up conservatively.
Please remember that learning is our top priority, so our dress code still applies!
End of Unit Astronomy Project
For their project students will pick one of the topics we have discussed and conduct research. They will then presents this information at our annual 5th Grade Science Fair. Their presentation will include an organized presentation of their research and a 3-D Model. They can complete this a few different ways; poster board and Styrofoam ball(s) painted as there topic, diorama with information labeled, and or a model of their own choosing.
We will be spending the majority of our time work on this project in class, however their maybe sometimes when they take work home. Topic choices are due Tuesday October 4th, research will be due October 17th, and project and Science Fair are October 21st. If you are able to donate Styrofoam balls in many different sizes, paint, and or poster boards, it would be greatly appreciated.