We Are Together Tamanend!
April 29, 2013
World Language Culture Field Trips
This past Friday, our 9th graders in Spanish 2 and French 2 classes took part in an exciting cultural experience, complete with music, food, and dancing. Spanish students traveled to the wonderful Cuba Libre restaurant in Philadelphia, while French students spent the day at the La Luna dance studio in Bensalem. Spanish students enjoyed a salsa dance performance and lesson while eating an authentic meal consisting of three amazing appetizers: plátano frito (fried plantains) , malanga frita and empanadas. The main meal for students included: chicken and rice, black beans, salad and flan for dessert. The French students learned the history of rock music in France and were taught how to swing dance while enjoying an authentic lunch of quiche, poulet (chicken) basquese, salade nicoise, and éclairs for dessert. The students and teachers had a wonderful time enjoying this unique cultural opportunity!
Congratulations, Mrs. Mancini!
Doesn't Your TMS Mom Deserve Celebrity Treatment?
Students in Central Bucks will have an opportunity to put into words why they believe they have the greatest mom of all. The 3rd Annual Mother's Day Essay Contest for elementary, middle school, and high school students is run in conjunction with the Central Bucks Cares Educational Foundation's upcoming Celebrity Chef & Waiter Gala. Students are encouraged to write essays of 250 words or less about “Why My Mother Deserves the Celebrity Treatment.”
Grand Prize: The lucky mother and a guest of each winning author will receive tickets to the Celebrity Chef & Waiter Gala.
Rules: Each essay must be 250 words or less. The student’s name, grade level, and school must appear on the top of each essay. The students should write about “Why My Mother Deserves the Celebrity Treatment.”
Mail submission by May 6th:
CB Cares’ Mother's Day Essay
Contest, 252 W. Swamp Road #5
Doylestown, PA 18902
Electronic submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject Line: Essay Contest
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card. Register your card and TMS will receive a percentage of your spendings.
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS; or, shop at the Box Top Market Place where you will find vendors such as Best Buy, KMart, Justice and more.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
Got R o A R?
Damien was nominatie by Mrs. Magliozzo for RoAR Recognition for his RESPECT.
Mrs. Mancini nominated Jenica L. for RoAR Recognition for her RESPONSIBILITY.
Michael B. was nominated by Mrs. Gamble for RoAR Recognition for his ACHIEVEMENT.
CBSD Board Briefs
At the April 23, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Tamanend Jazz Band performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. Kovnot’s 1st grade Jamison class.
2. Heard the Academic Spotlight about “Training Peer Mentors”. This is a video created by Lindsay Smith and Renee McErlean, teachers at Bridge Valley Elementary School, along with their students demonstrates what they have learned about Autism and what they have learned about being a friend.
3. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Curriculum, Finance, Human Resources, Operations, IU Board, and MBIT Committee Reports.
4. Approved the School Board Minutes.
5. Approved the Treasurer’s Report.
6. Approved the Resolution for the 2013-2014 Proposed Final Budget. The proposed final budget for 2013-2014 is $290,683,982. There will be a “zero” increase in Real Estate Taxes for the 2013-2014 school year. The school board will take action on the final budget adoption at the May 28 meeting.
7. Ratified the transfer of $23 million from the General Fund to the Debt Service Fund.
8. Approved Purchasing Items for the following subject areas: General Teaching, General Art, Secondary Art, Physical Education, Science, Tech Ed General Hardware, Team Sports Supplies.
9. Approved Construction Contracts as follows:
§ Emergency generator at the Ed Services Center to Pinnacle Electrical Construction - $262,400
§ Roofing replacement at the Ed Services Center to Laurant Construction Co. - $199,695
§ Roofing repairs and installation of a new single ply membrane at the Transportation Annex to Union Roofing Contractors - $98,000
10. Tabled School Board Policies Use of Medications and Electronic Signatures so that the proposed policies can be posted on the CBSD website for public review.
11. Approved School Board Policy 902-1 – Cable Television.
12. Approved various personnel items and student trips.
13. Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence as an information item.
Highlighted in a Previous Tamanend Connections:
- This summer, Tamanend students and staff will read Wonder for one of their two summer reading books. For more information, click here.
- Starting this week, students need to "swipe or type" their PIN when buying breakfast or lunch at school.
- Warrington Township Police Department has asked that we remind everyone of the school speed limit of 15 mph during our arrival and dismissal times: 6:55-7:40 a.m. and 2:15-3:00 p.m..
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon: We appreciate Mrs. Christine Pataki for coordinating the TMS Staff Appreciation Luncheon this year which will be on May 7th. To volunteer, please email Mrs. Pataki at email@example.com.
- Relay for Life: 8th and 9th graders across the district are encouraged to participate in the CBSD Relay for Life hosted at Tohickon Middle School on May 18. Please mark your calendar and stay tuned for more information.
- ARAMARK is sponsoring a student poster contest for National Nutrition month. Judging will occur at the elementary, middle and high school levels and there will be gift certificates to those students who are awarded.
- In order to promote more students eating breakfast before school, Tamanend now has a breakfast cart. Students can purchase breakfast items from 7:10 a.m. until 7:27 a.m. NEW LOCATION FOR THE CART: Outside the Auditorium by the back of Mr. Sanchez's room so that students may buy breakfast as they arrive to school. Students will be able to use their IDs to swipe their account number, or they can enter it manually. Students will be allowed to eat breakfast in their homerooms. For more information about the selection and prices, click here.
- 2013-2014 CBSD Calendar
- Tamanend is helping to Save Kids Castle! Click here to donate your time, talent or money. To learn more about this worthwhile community service project, you can follow it on Twitter @SaveKidsCastle.
- We need parents, students and staff for our Wellness Committee. If you are interested in helping with a fitness program after school, starting a vegetable garden in our courtyard, or have some other ideas to help our students and staff "go green" and stay fit, please contact Mrs. Mary McDonald, Mrs. Lauren Myrtetus and Ms. Brenda Scheffey about becoming involved in our Wellness Committee.
- Students currently taking an Algebra course will take the PA Keystone Exam in Algebra this year, unless they took the Algebra Keystone two years ago and were proficient. The following is a link with more information about the PA Keystone Exams: http://www.cbsd.org/curriculum/assessment/Pages/PA-Keystone-Exams.aspx.
- If you have a Twitter account, now you can get "Tiger Tweets" by following us @CBTamanendMS where we will proudly share good news and accomplishments of our students and staff.
Please read and share with others our "TMS Points of Pride."
Please volunteer to help make this year at TMS great!
- Click here to register to receive CBSD text alerts.