Pleasant Lake Pleasantries
Together We Learn, Together We Lead!
Summer Reading and Math Resources
Dear Pleasant Lake Elementary Families,
Summer is here and we need your help!
Although Summer is a time for relaxing and having fun, it also needs to be a time to stay engaged with reading, writing, and math to prevent the loss of skills during this time. A recent article in the Washington Post talks about ways in which you can help your child with the dreaded “summer slide” in reading to keep them moving forward to the Fall with momentum. There are some really great ideas in this article to make reading fun and a great family activity.
Additionally, your child can access iReady reading and math lessons through the summer until August 16th, 2019. Students finished up their Spring assessments in May and June so there will be new lessons waiting for them. We would recommend that your child participate in 45 minutes per week in reading and 45 minutes per week in math to keep their skills moving forward. From August 17th thru the first day of school, important data and rosters will be updated and lessons will not be available to students for a couple of weeks. Student Data from lessons completed, time on task, and standards passed & not passed will be used in the Fall. Please check with your child's teacher if you have questions regarding iReady Instruction at home.
Here’s a few more ideas that you can put into action to support your child’s learning throughout the summer:
- READING: All reading is good reading! Books, magazines, maps, signs, etc. Have your child read them to themselves or aloud to you and then ask them to tell you about what they read and what it means or what they think will come next.
- WRITING: Have your child keep a journal or write letters to family members. Write stories together to share with a neighbor or family member. Be sure that they know their writing is important and that their reader wants to be able to understand their communication.
- MATH: Numbers are everywhere! Ask your child about the numbers you see. Have them add the numbers for you or ask how many they see when looking at a group of objects. Skip count together by 2, 5, or 10). Split a pizza and have them tell you what fraction of the pizza they get to have. The National Association of Elementary School Principal’s has some good suggestions to support this idea too!
- Walled Lake also offers a website with some great ideas for summer learning and some offerings for kids to participate in summer camps. Please visit our Think-a-Palooza website and our Summer Programs website.
It is very easy to get caught up in the idea that summer means no school, but it certainly does not mean no learning should occur. Be sure to keep your child engaged and moving forward as the summer days pass by.
Have a great summer! Don't forget to check your child's report card which is online and available to you on Skyward Family Access.
Please click here: 2019-20 calendar to view next year’s school calendar. Please Note:
We will start the school year prior to Labor Day again.
Late starts (middle school) and early release (high schools) have been eliminated.
There are several half-days throughout the school year. As we have in the past, we will offer a reduced rate Prime Time Care service on each of these half days.
You might be wondering...Why are there so many half days?
Throughout the school year, there are eight half days that will be used for staff professional development. We recognize that half days can be inconvenient for families. That said, research has shown that when teachers receive ongoing, job-embedded professional development, they can increase student achievement by as much as 21 percentile points (Source).
As a school and district, we are committed to continuous improvement and these eight half days are an essential part of that commitment. Although they may seem inconvenient, staff development opportunities are crucial to ensure we provide an exemplary education for our children.
2019-2020 Classroom Supply Lists
Teach The Leader in Me Habits At Home!
Pleasant Lake Elementary Summer Hours
PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR SCHOOL IS CURRENTLY CLOSED AND WILL REOPEN ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 9TH. IF YOU HAVE A TIME SENSITIVE OR URGENT MATTER PLEASE CALL OUR EDUCATIONAL SERVICES CENTER AT 248.956.2000
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Prime Time Care Hours
Monday - Friday
6:30 AM-6:00 PM
Drop off: 8:50 AM
Late Bell: 8:55 AM
Dismissal: 3:58 PM
Departure: 4:05 PM
PTA Facebook Page
Visit our PTA's Facebook Page
Kroger Community Rewards Program
The PTA needs your help in providing our students and staff with as many resources as possible. One way the PTA helps is by contributing the funds earned through the Kroger Community Rewards program. If you shop at Kroger, we ask you to enroll your card to earn money for the PTA. This program does not take away your rewards earned toward gas or any other benefits. It is an additional way that Kroger gives back to the community. If you were enrolled in the past, please make sure to re-enroll and select Pleasant Lake Elementary PTA to earn the community rewards. You can follow the link provided here https://www.kroger.com/account/enrollCommunityRewardsNow
Also, if you have other family members (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) that shop at Kroger or Kroger affiliated stores encourage them to enroll their rewards card and select your student’s PTA for community rewards. Every little bit helps our students and staff.
PTA Co-V.P. and Scrips Coordinator
Busch's Cash For Education
Don’t forget to re-enroll by January 1st to participate in the 2019 Cash for Education program. All participants must re-enroll annually. Once registered, simply shop, provide your Busch’s MyWay phone number or key tag at the register and receive credit for your schools. It’s that easy! Just be sure to follow the below steps to participate for the New Year.
Steps to Take:
- Sign into your MyWay account and select “Cash for Education” from the dropdown menu underneath your name to reselect your schools and/or organizations.
- If you haven’t done so already, you must include a valid email and opt-in to receive emails to participate in this program. You can check this under My Account > Account Holder when logged into MyWay. Busch’s will use this email to communicate any updates or changes to the Cash for Education Program. Email is also a great way to receive information regarding weekly specials, offers and Busch’s coupons, which are sent exclusively to MyWay members.
- Select up to four organizations that you would like to support for each quarter using the drop down menu. Purchases will be allocated equally between your chosen organizations.
- You may now also include the student you’re supporting.
- You may change your organizations and student at any time, but only those selected at the end of each quarter will receive credit.
Participants will be required to re-enroll on an annual basis.
Know What's Going On At Pleasant Lake Elementary!
SKYWARD FAMILY ACCESS
It is critical that parents keep an updated email address and let us know if it changes as soon as possible. Parents may update this information for us on Skyward Family Access. All teachers at Pleasant Lake utilize Skyward Family Access to communicate with parents. Report cards, lunch account information, progress reports, attendance and other important information will always be posted on Skyward Family Access. If you are a new family to Walled Lake Schools or have misplaced or lost your Family Access ID and password, please click HERE to get connected.
PLEASANT LAKE PLEASANTRIES AND SCHOOL WEBSITE
Our school newsletter will be sent electronically to parents once a month. An archive of newsletters is also posted to our school website under the For Parents tab. Our school website can be found HERE. Please visit this page often for information about our school. You will find links to important documents, websites from your child's classroom, PTA forms and information, and important updates and forms that you will need to access.
Please follow us on Twitter @PleasantLakeEl to be updated regularly on important events at our school and fun pictures of student events and learning!
We also offer Remind 101 to all PLE parents. How does it work? If you would like to receive a quick text message on your cell phone or device, just sign up with us and you receive a quick text to remind you of important school events, deadlines, time frames, etc. at PLE. You can unsubscribe at any time.
To join, send a text to (586) 649-3482 and enter the message @mrmakt
You can opt-out of messages at anytime by replying, 'unsubscribe @mrmakt'.