Homestead and chores
- Small children collected eggs, milked goats and cows, and found berries.
- The most important chore was to supply the family with water.
- Older boys cut wood and kept the fire going.
Life was hard
- If students didn't listen they got whipped with a rawhide whip.
- Students had to memorize poems.
- Women ran the house while men took care of the livestock.
There were many dangers in the west.
- Dieses such as Dock Fever (Yellow Fever) were dangerous.
- Hail storms and lightning were dangerous.
- Gunpowder explosions happned a lot and were dangerous.
- The pots and pans had long handles so the women wouldn't burn themselves.
- The bread ovens were built into the fire place towards the top.
- The skillets had legs because if the pots and pans were on the coals it would smother the fire.