January Kindergarten Newsletter
5th Week of January: Catholic Schools Week
January 19th- 23rd
We are using our 4-Square Template to describe the main idea and details of a story. Here are some examples showing the main idea and details from The Mitten, by Jan Brett.
This upcoming week we will describe the main idea and details for different animals and themed writing to celebrate the 100th Day of School and Catholic Schools Week.
We are continuing to identifying main idea and details in non-fiction text. We will also take a close look at text features in non-fiction articles. We will be using articles from National Geographic Kids, Scholastic News, and Ranger Rick Jr. magazine to dig explore non-fiction animals, especially the brown bear. We will complete our 2 week project, breaking down aspects of The Mitten, by Jan Brett.
This week's sight words: they, of, you
We are marching along Unit 5: Numbers up to 20 and will take a short break to look at our featured number, 100 this week!
Specific skills that would be great for your child to practiced at home:
- Making numbers
- Comparing numbers
- Hundred Charts
- Practice writing and reading numbers up to 20 (numerical and written form)
We are in fully swing learning God's 10 Commandments, the majority of the students know and can explain all 10 Commandments. We practice identify different ways we apply them into our daily lives, with or without realizing it. Students have been working on a lapbook to describe the 10 Commandments in their own words.
Our daily discussion continues to include how we can live out our missions the same way our Mother Mary did and the all the saints so well :)
Catholic School Week - Events
Monday- 8:45- 100am Bullying Presentation for Students
Tuesday- 100th Day of School!!
- Please have your children come to school with dressed as if they were 100 year old to help celebrate!
- We will be having center rotations in the morning (9am- 10:30am) themed for the 100th day of school for Kindergarteners.
- If you are interested in helping lead a center/activity and volunteer your helping hands please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org). I will email you back with specifics. Thank you :)
- 9-9:30 Sunrail Presentation for (K-2nd grade students)
- Family Food Truck Night after school
- DRESS DOWN DAY- Students may wear jeans + class shirt
- 8:15am - Students will listen to Bishop Moore Choir (parents are welcome)
- Chick-fil-A will provide lunch for students. No need to pack lunch :)
- Movie Day for Primary students
- Retreat Day
- Down Syndrome Presentation
- Mass scheduled at 2pm in the Gymnasium (all are welcome)
St. Vincent De Paul center is running low on supplies and needs your help! We have been asked to donate the following items, you can gather supplies and bring them in all at once or separately each day:
Thursday- Wash Cloth