Don't let your student be a victim of Child Abuse
Child Abuse Statistics
- More than four children die every day as a result of child abuse.
- It is estimated that between 50-60% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates.
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
- In at least one study, about 80% of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
Signs or symptoms to look for in physical child abuse,
Warning signs of physical abuse in children
- Frequent injuries or unexplained bruises, welts, or cuts.
- Is always watchful and “on alert,” as if waiting for something bad to happen.
- Injuries appear to have a pattern such as marks from a hand or belt.
- Shies away from touch, flinches at sudden movements, or seems afraid to go home.
- Wears inappropriate clothing to cover up injuries, such as long-sleeved shirts on hot days.
How to report child abuse
CALL the Child Abuse Hotline at at 1-800-362-2178 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
- Please be ready to provide identifying information and the whereabouts of the child. You may remain anonymous.
If you believe the child is in imminent danger, CALL 911 immediately