Choice and Voice In Any Classroom
From AP to at-risk
In an on-level or foundational course:
- Students select their text from a teacher-generated list
- Students have choice in their final projects (within guidelines) to demonstrate acquired skills
- Students select their written pieces to share/publish from several samples
In a G/T or advanced course:
- Students select their texts based on learning goals
- Students plan their final projects (within guidelines)
- Students select which written pieces they will share/publish when possible
- Students select articles of interest to respond to in writing
What research says:
- Classroom libraries, self-selection of texts, literature circles, discussions, and connecting texts to their lives can all engage students in the reading process (57).
- Students should participate in Socratic seminars and literature circles in which they work together to negotiate meaning (19).
›Burke, J. (2008). The English Teacher's Companion (3rd ed.). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.