Pelion Pride 2020
Issue 2: November, 2020
Stay in touch with the Counseling & Advisement Office
Mrs. Jessica Burke (Director): Last Names A-C firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Amber Hartley: Last Names D-Mc email@example.com
Mrs. Alysha Walker: Last Names Me-Z firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Dana Crumpton: Career Specialist email@example.com
Ms. Tara Simmons: Graduation Coach firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you know that males are required to register with the Selective Services within 30 days of their 18th birthday?
Please bring your college acceptance letters and scholarship award letters to Ms. Kirby in the School Counseling Office.
CONGRATULATIONS! These students have received college acceptance letters:
NCAA Information Session
Thursday, Dec. 5th, 6pm
Pelion High School
Please park in the student parking lot and enter through the library.
NACEL OPEN DOOR
- Youth Exchange program
- At least 18, no more than 19 by July 1, of the departure year.
- Graduating seniors who will complete U.S. school studies in January or June prior to departure.
- GPA 3.0
- U.S. Citizenship
- Ability to serve as an ambassador for your country.
Mid-Carolina Electric Cooperative: Attention Juniors & Sophomores
Amount: $5,000 (scholarship if selected)Application: http://www.mcecoop.com/content/youth-tour-youth-summit
The Cooperative is once again sponsoring three students to participate in the Electric Cooperative Youth Tour to Washington, DC. You could be selected to attend this week long expense paid trip. If you have any questions please see Kim Kirby in the Counseling office.
ASSE International Student Exchange Programs
- Study abroad in 2020-2021 school year.
- Walter Danielson Scholarship covers 100%.
- Global Adventure Scholarship covers 90%.
- Must be 15 but not older than 18 1/2 upon departure.
- Have a B average.
- In good health.
- Excellent character references.
2020 John Cabot University Exchange Program
- Study in Rome.
- Immersion in Italian life and culture.
- An international student body representing more than 80 different countries.
- Internships and career assistance.
- US Federal Student Aid
- Generous Scholarships
College Visit Procedures
Transcript requests for scholarship applications should be made to Ms. Kirby in the Counseling & Advisement Office.
Every college-bound senior needs to complete the FREE Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have not completed the FAFSA, The Educational Opportunity Center at Midlands Tech will help you. You do not have to be attending Midlands Tech to use this service.
Call 803-822-3749 to schedule an appointment. You will need to bring the following items to your appointment:
- Picture ID
- Permanent Resident card (if eligible non-citizen)
- Social Security card
- Most recently filed tax return and W-2 forms
- Parents’ most recently filed tax return and W-2 forms (dependent students only)
December 1 – Applicants who apply by this date will receive an admissions decision the week of February 15. Final deadline to apply for Fall admission is May 1.
College of Charleston
November 1- Early Decision Deadline – Students’ applications and all supporting documents – including transcripts and secondary school reports – must be submitted or postmarked by this date. Students should select the early decision option only if they have selected College of Charleston as their first choice and will not use scholarships and financial aid as a primary factor in their decision. Application materials for early decision candidates must be submitted by November 1. Decision letters are issued by early December 1.
University of South Carolina
October 15 - Early Application Answer Deadline – Students who submit complete applications and all required credentials by this date will hear from the admissions office by December 19. Answers may be acceptance, denial, or deferred decision until mid-March.
November 15, 2019 - Deadline for SC Honors College and Top Scholars Applications
December 1 - USC Regular Application Deadline
University of South Carolina now accepts the Common Application. There are three ways to apply to the University: University of SC Application, the Coalition Application or the Common Application. USC uses self-reported standardized test scores to make initial admission and scholarship decisions. Students can report their scores through their Admissions Portal after they apply.
College Open House/Visit Dates
Converse Open House: April 17, 2020
You can also check college websites for postings of Open House dates.
Interested in Cosmetology or Barbering School?
SC Teaching Fellows Program Scholarship
The South Carolina Teaching Fellows Program was created to recruit talented high school seniors into the teaching profession. High school seniors who are legal South Carolina residents may apply. Selection is based on academic achievement, community and school involvement, references, interview, and writing assessment. Teaching Fellows participate in advanced enrichment programs in Teaching Fellows Institutions, professional development opportunities during summer months, involvement with communities and businesses throughout the state and receive up to $6000 in yearly scholarships for four years (up to a total of $24,000) while they complete a degree leading to teacher certification. A Fellow agrees to teach in South Carolina one year for every year he/she received the Fellowship.
This award may be combined with either Palmetto Fellows or LIFE Scholarships. Apply online. The online application will open on Sept. 1 and the deadline is December 1, 2019 11:45 pm. All letters of recommendation and transcripts must be received by 5:00 pm Dec. 8, 2019.
The Teaching Fellows program is available at the following institutions:
- Anderson University - Website / Fellows Program Info / Brochure / Flyer
- Charleston Southern University - Website / Brochure
- Clemson University - Website / Brochure
- Coastal Carolina University - Website / Fellows Program Info / Brochure / Paper
- College of Charleston - Website / Brochure
- **Columbia College - Website
- Francis Marion University - Website / Fellows Program Info
- Lander University - Website
- **Newberry College - Website
- USC-Aiken - Website / Fellows Program Info
- USC Columbia - Website / Fellows Program Info
- USC Upstate - Website / Fellows Program Info
- Winthrop University - Website / Brochure
**Columbia College and Newberry College are no longer accepting new students into their Teaching Fellows Program.
Francis Marion - Robert E. McNair Scholarship
Deadline: December 2, 2019
Amount: Full Tuition
BENEFITS OF THE GOVERNOR ROBERT E. MCNAIR SCHOLARSHIP:
- Free tuition, fees, and room and board for four years of study.
- A book allowance each semester.
- Opportunity to travel abroad during spring break of the freshman year.
- Opportunity to study abroad in one of nine exchange student programs. McNair Scholars can choose to study in Canada, England, France, Germany, and Ireland.
- Admission to the Francis Marion Honors Program. This includes the opportunity to travel on the yearly Honors trip held every Fall. Locations include New York City, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.
- Opportunity to participate in the National Model United Nations Conference in New York City.
- Early class registration.
- Upgraded Housing. McNair Scholars will live in the Forest Villas Apartments, the newest housing on campus. These furnished units contain four private bedrooms, two bathrooms, and shared living room and kitchen space. (One and two bedroom units may be available).
- Experiential Learning Opportunities outside the classroom.
- Participation in public service activities to further strengthen the local community.
- Be a South Carolina resident.
- Be a high school senior.
- Achieve a high school cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Have an SAT score of 1160 or higher (Evidence-Based Reading & Writing and Math) or 24 or higher ACT score.
- Display a dedication to public service.
- Agree to participate in service learning/public service opportunities.
- Agree to participate in travel and study abroad opportunities.
- Submit two original essays: One focused on the value of public service. One focused on how you would make the most of your study abroad.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor or employer.
* The McNair Scholarship is renewable for a total of four years provided that the recipient completes 30 semester hours each year and maintains a 3.0 GPA.
Clemson University - Lyceum Scholars Program
Open to incoming freshmen, the Lyceum Scholars Program is the first college program in the US to use a Great Books approach to studying liberty, capitalism, the American Founding, and moral character.
All Lyceum Scholars are assigned faculty "Socratic Tutors" who guide their intellectual development for their entire four-year education.
Those interested in becoming Lyceum Scholars should apply in their senior year of high school to Clemson University and to the Lyceum Scholars Program.
South Carolina Junior Golf Foundation Scholarship
- Plan to attend a 4 year college in South Carolina
- Play gold recreationally or competitively
- 2.75 or higher GPA
- Must have community involvement
The AXA Achievement Scholarship
The AXA Achievement Scholarship offers college scholarships of $10,000 and $25,000 to high school seniors who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in their activities in school, the community or the workplace. The scholarship is sponsored by the AXA Foundation, the philanthropic arm of AXA US. Your application MUST be one of the first 10,000 submitted electronically by the deadline date. Apply early!
Palmetto State School Counselor Association Scholarship
Application: How a School Counselor Made a Difference
Winners will be selected and notified by April 15, 2020
- Must be a high school senior attending a public or private secondary school in the state of South Carolina.
- Must be a permanent resident of the state of South Carolina.
- Must plan to attend a post-secondary institution during the 2020-2021 school year.
- Submit an application.
- Complete an essay of no more than 500 words about a school counselor who has made a difference in your academic, career, social, and/or emotional development. You may additionally include your career goals, post-secondary education plans, and an explanation for how the scholarship will help you.
- Include an official copy of high school transcript.
- Submit a letter of recommendation.
- Allow their essay to be shared with the school counselor they write about if feasible.
Criteria for selection:
- High school academic record
- Community service, and school activities
- Letter of recommendation (non-family member)
Navy ROTC Scholarship
Amount: 4-year Scholarship worth $180,000
Earn a 4 year scholarship with no obligation to the Navy until your sophomore year. Program completion and graduation will result in Commissioning in the US Navy. A 5 year minimum active duty obligation as a naval officer will be required.
- Must be at least 17 years old and not older than 23
- Minimum SAT Score of 1050, or Minimum ACT score of 22, or graduate in the Top 10% of high school class
GE-Regan Foundation Scholarship
Amount: up to $40,000
To be eligible for this award, applicants must:
- demonstrate at school, at the workplace, and within the community the attributes of leadership, drive, integrity, and citizenship;
- demonstrate strong academic performance (minimum 3.0 grade point average/4.0 scale or equivalent);
- be citizens of the United States of America;
- be current high school seniors attending high school in the United States (students living on U.S. Armed Forces base and homeschooled students are also eligible); and
- plan to enroll in a full-time undergraduate course of study toward a bachelor’s degree at an accredited four-year college or university in the United States for the entire upcoming academic year.
American Legion Oratorical Scholarship Program
Amount: from $1,500-$18,000
The purpose of The American Legion's Oratorical Constitutional Speech Contest is to develop a deeper knowledge and appreciation of the Constitution of the United States. Please see the rules and regulations on The American Legion Website.
John F. Kennedy: The Profile of Courage Essay Contest
The contest is open to United States high school students in grades nine through twelve attending public, private, parochial, or home schools; U.S. students under the age of twenty enrolled in a high school correspondence/GED program in any of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, or the U.S. territories; and U.S. citizens attending schools overseas. Past winners and finalists are not eligible to participate. Employees of John Hancock Financial Services and members of their families are not eligible to participate.
Harry Hampton Fund Scholarships
- Harry Hampton Scholarship: $5,000/year up to 4 years($20,000) for students interested in majoring in natural resources disciplines of wildlife biology, fisheries biology, forestry, marine or environmental science.
- Wallace F. Pate Scholarship: One time $1,500 for students interested in majoring in natural resources disciplines of wildlife biology, fisheries biology, forestry, marine or environmental science.
- David M. Cline Scholarship: One time $2,000 for students who wish to further their education in law enforcement, criminal justice, or forensic science.
- James O. Thomason Scholarship: $2,000/year for up to 4 years ($8,000) for students who wish to further their education in print or photo journalism, advertising, public relations, or mass communications.
2020 Journalism Contest
Amount: FULL TUITION at a SC state-supported college of your choice
Application: Available in the School Counseling Office
- must be a South Carolinian 16 to 19 years old
- must be a high school senior
You must write an article 3 pages addressing the theme, "Benefits of hiring people with disabilities." More information is available on the application.
Silver Pen Writing Competition
Amount: Varies from $500-$2,500
- No minimum GPA to apply
- Essay required (minimum of 1000 words)
- Doubled Spaced
For More Information please stop by Counseling Office.
The College Plan Scholarship
Application: Available in the School Counseling Office
The winning student must be accepted into an accredited college, university, or technical school by the end of the year. The scholarship will be made payable to the attending college, university, or technical school.
Midlands Technical College Foundation
The MTC Foundation offers 45 unique scholarships just for MTC students.
To apply for these scholarships as well as state and federal aid, you'll need to fill out a FAFSA.
Here's how it works:
When the MTC Foundation scholarships are open for application, we'll send you a letter or email with a link to apply online. You'll enter your information one time, and we'll match you with all the MTC Foundation scholarships that you qualify for. It's that easy!
Christian Connector, Inc Scholarship Drawing
The scholarship runs each year from June 1st through May 31st. The drawing winner of each scholarship is selected at random and The Christian Connector, Inc. reserves the right to change the random drawing selection process at any point. Individuals must meet the below guidelines in order to be eligible to receive the scholarship.
- The scholarship recipient must have plans to enroll for the first time as a full-time student at a Christ-centered Christian college or Bible college within 16 months of being notified by The Christian Connector, Inc. that he/she has won the drawing.
- The Christian Connector, Inc. reserves the right to make the determination of whether or not a particular school qualifies. Any school that is a member of the CCCU, NACCAP or ABHE automatically qualifies.
- The scholarship recipient may not currently be enrolled at a Christian college or Bible college.
- The scholarship will not be sent to the individual recipient, but rather it will be sent directly to the school of choice, meeting the above criteria.
- An individual cannot enter the scholarship drawing more than once, however, he/she may use the request form and Christian Connector services as often as they wish.
- By completing the information request form, the winner of the scholarship allows their name, city and state to be used on the site and in promotional materials, announcing that he/she is a Christian Connector scholarship recipient.
Should the initial randomly selected individual(s) not meet the above guidelines for the scholarship drawing entered, the scholarship will be forfeited and offered to another individual until a selected individual who meets the above guidelines is awarded the appropriate scholarship.
AmericanMuscle Automotive Scholarships
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
Scholarships are restricted to those students pursuing an automotive degree or related field of study.
Ponton Law Scholarship
- This scholarship is judged & awarded primarily on merit & need.
- Completed application must be submitted online by July 31, 2020. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Applicant must plan to attend college by fall semester 2020.
- Must have a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0.
- A transcript must be attached for application for consideration.
- Applicant must submit an un-opened copy of official transcripts if selected as a finalist.
- This scholarship is a one-time award worth $1,000 to be awarded the fall semester of 2020.
- Although not required, applicants are encouraged to submit recommendation letters and/or resumes to substantiate their application.
- Applicant will be required to demonstrate both their merit and their need for this scholarship