A Note From Dr. Luhning
I hope you are enjoying your summer. I have always felt that after the fourth of July summer goes by very quickly and the start of the school year will be here before we know it. I am looking forward and planning on five day a week in person school beginning on Tuesday August 24th. Throughout the summer we will revise our Return to Learn Plan for the 2021-2022 school year and distribute it to families prior to school starting in August. Our protocols will continue to prioritize the health and wellness of our students and staff and align with the guidelines and recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the St. Louis County Department of Health (DOH).
I wanted to share some important dates for the start of school in this newsletter. There are more details about each date in the sections below. As always reach out if you have any questions.
August 9-First Day of Fall Sports Practices
August 18-Virtual Zoom Freshmen Parent/Guardian Meeting
August 23-Freshmen and New Student Orientation
August 24-First Day of School
September 13-Back to School follow you child's schedule night
We would like to welcome some new faces to our staff and some familiar faces that are taking on additional roles:
Allison Hungate-Wood: Middle School and High School Choir Teacher
Katie Alexander: Softball Head Coach
Eric Ruehl: Softball Assistant Coach
Steve Jarvis: Boys Basketball Head Coach
Angela Buckman: Girls Basketball Head Coach
Brittany Webster: Assistant Cheerleading Coach
I am very excited to welcome these wonderful educators to our staff or to a new role.
We are Valley Park Strong!
One Community. One Campus. Limitless Learning.
The Valley Park School District is dedicated to providing a safe and supportive environment of belonging where personalized learning experiences prepare our students holistically for limitless opportunities, empowering them to make the world a better place.
First Day of Fall Sports Practices
Boys Soccer, Softball, Girls Volleyball, and Cross Country first day of practice will be on August 9th. More information from our Dean of Activities and each individual sport head coach will be shared soon.
Virtual Freshman Parent/Guardian Meeting
Dr. Goldberg (high school counselor), Mr. Hamilton (Dean of Activities), and myself will host a virtual freshman parent meeting over Zoom on Wednesday August 18th from 6:00-7:00 PM. The meeting will be used to welcome the Class of 2025 parent/guardians to Valley Park High School and share important information that will help our newest families to the high school.
A link to the meeting will be shared by email the morning of August 18th.
First Day of School
Student drop off and pick up will be located at the middle school entrance. Please use the middle school lot and follow the flow of traffic to drop your child off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon.
The high school lot is used for bus drop off.
High School students that drive to school should park on the student lot located on Valley Park School Drive on the backside of the high school. Parking passes are available for purchase in the main office from Ms. Deveraux.
Below is our daily bell schedule
1st Hour 7:40 – 8:28 AM
2nd Hour 8:32 – 9:20 AM
3rd Hour 9:24 – 10:12 AM
4th Hour 10:16 – 11:06 AM
5th Hour 11:10 – 11:58
HS Lunch 1 12:02 – 12:27 PM 9th and 10th
HS Advisory 1 12:02 – 12:27 PM 11th and 12th
HS Lunch 2 12:31-12:56 PM 11th and 12th
HS Advisory 2 12:31 – 12:56 PM 9th and 10th
6th Hour 1:00 – 1:48 PM
7th Hour 1:52 – 2:40 PM
Freshman and New Student Orientation Day
Valley Park High School is looking forward to meeting the Class of 2025 and our new Valley Park High School students.
We look forward to help make that transition seamless at our 9th grade and new student Orientation Day. Current VPHS 11th and 12th grade students will serve as leaders and mentors to the Class of 2025 and our new VPHS students. We will all participate in large and small group activities designed to prepare our newest students for a successful school year.
Wear comfortable clothes and do not bring anything special...lunch is provided. This event is for students of the Class of 2025 and new students to VPHS only.
Monday August 23 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Back to School Night
This is not a parent/teacher conference but an opportunity to meet your child's teachers, learn about the courses they are taking, and meet staff members that will also be integral in your child's success at VPHS. We look forward to seeing you there.
Class of 2022 Senior Pictures
Congratulations Class of 2022!
Wagner Portrait Group is the official Senior Photographer of Valley Park High School and
to be pictured in the yearbook, you must have your picture photographed by Wagner Portrait Group.
Have you booked your senior portrait appointment? HURRY! Appointments are filling fast!
Valley Park High School’s Senior Picture Day is Friday, July 23, 2021.
(Portrait sessions will be at School in the HS Commons)
Have your credit card ready to reserve your time. All sessions are free, however, "no-shows" will be charged $35.
More Details About Your Photo Session
Yearbook Portrait Dress Code:
- Guys: Sport coat, dress shirt, & tie
- Gals: Dressy top (no tube tops spaghetti straps, or low-cut blouses)
- You will be photographed in your formal attire for the yearbook as well as a free senior cap and gown session (we'll provide the caps and gowns, properly disinfected with UV light sanitization system between uses!)
Who to bring:
- Parents/guardians are encouraged to accompany their senior to their photo appointment.
- Please limit additional family members as we will be practicing social distancing & want plenty of space for all seniors.
- Images will be available to view and order online after your session (including choosing your yearbook picture).
- There is no charge to be photographed, however a credit card is required to book your appointment.
- Photo sessions are free, however, "no-shows" will be charged $35.
- After your session, you will have the opportunity to take advantage of special Senior Week picture discounts!
- Plan on 15-20 minutes for your complete appointment.
- After your portrait session, you will select your yearbook pose plus have the opportunity to take advantage of special Senior Week picture discounts!
Need another date? If you are unable to make the scheduled dates, please check the ONLINE SCHEDULE later this summer for added make-up dates.
Health and Safety:
In an effort to maintain a healthy environment, we have opted to photograph in a wide open space at school rather than at the Wagner Portrait Group studio. Our #1 goal is keeping students and their families safe.
- Camera area, props, & stools will be sanitized after each photo session
- Garments will be treated with UV light disinfecting system between uses
- Waiting area chairs will be properly spaced
- Wagner employees will wear masks and continually wash hands
- Entrances & exits will be clearly marked
- Hand sanitizer will be available at each station
If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know because we are all in this together. We cannot wait to see you!
Questions? Wagner is happy to help! 314-567-5900 or 1-800-444-7986 www.wagnerportraitgroup.com
Congratulations class of 2022 and have a great summer!
Still Looking for Junior and Senior Mentors
Qualities for mentors include:
- strong communication
- willingness to lead
- responsible to manage a group
- accountable to show up to year long events
- willing to take risks
- interest in seeing the Class of 2025 be successful
- role model
- self-confident and self-directed
- respect for diverse ideas and personalities
If this sounds like you or you have interest in developing these skills please plan on becoming a mentor.
Sunday August 15 4:00-8:00 PM
Monday August 16 8:00 AM-12:00 PM
Class of 2025 Orientation Day:
Monday August 23 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
High School Supplies
Please have these materials ready for the first day of school:
- School issued device charged and ready for school use daily
- Head Phones that can connect to your school issued device
- Pens and Pencils
Specific classes may have specific supplies that they will share during the first week of school.