The Bobcat Beat
November 12, 2020
SCHEDULE FOR NEXT WEEK, NOVEMBER 16TH - 20TH :
- Monday, November 16th and Tuesday, November 17th: Cohort A comes to school/Cohort B remotes in.
- Wednesday, November 18th: Cohort A and B are virtual.
- Thursday, November 19th and Friday, November 20th: Cohort B comes to school/Cohort A remotes in.
- Students with IEPs and English Language Learners attend school 4 days per week.
- Students in our AS program attend school 5 days per week.
SCHEDULE FOR CONFERENCE WEEK, NOVEMBER 23RD-25TH :
- Monday, November 23rd: Cohort A comes to school in the morning/Cohort B remotes in, Dismissal at 12:10pm. Teachers will conduct afternoon conferences via zoom or phone.
- Tuesday, November 24th: Cohort B comes to school in the morning/Cohort A remotes in, Dismissal at 12:10pm. Teachers will conduct afternoon and evening conferences via zoom or phone.
- Wednesday, November 25th: No school for students, teachers will conduct morning conferences via zoom or phone.
Spirit Week Next Week!
Turkey Trot Tuesday: Wear tennis shoes (sneakers) to 'trot' around school, wear Fall colors.
Welcoming Wednesday: Welcome a new friend to play or talk at recess, wear bright colors as you brightened someone's day.
Thankful Thursday: Make a card or express your gratitude to someone today, wear your favorite color!
Fern Hill Friday: We are...the Fern Hill Bobcats! Wear blue or spirit wear!
How to understand your child's report card?
Each year parents have questions about the report card grades, particularly in grades K-2 since they are standards-based. Please read this information to have a better understanding of our report cards.
The end of the trimester is December 2nd and the report cards will be visible on the Parent Portal on December 17th. We will send a reminder message on the 17th so you are aware that the grades for the first trimester are posted.
- In grade K-2, the West Chester Area School District (WCASD) utilizes standards-based reporting. Each child will receive a 1, 2, 2+, 3, or 4 for each standard addressed this trimester. Typically, if you see “N/A” it means that the standard has not yet been assessed. This year, your child may also receive N/A if we do not have enough data/information to accurately assess your child. Please remember the goals are end of year standards/expectations. In December, you will likely see many 2’s and some 1’s which is appropriate for this time of year because the expectation is that students meet the standards with a 3 by the third and final report card in June. In addition, please know that 4’s are rare to receive, even at the end of the school year. For a child to reach that level, he/she is performing significantly and consistently above the standard expectations.
- In grades 3-5, WCASD utilizes numeric grades (45-100) that correspond to letter grades (A, B, C, F) for core subjects. Please know that standard grading (1, 2, 3, 4) does not correlate to a letter grade. For example, a 3 in second grade does not mean a B in third grade. Teachers utilize various assessments, activities, and assignments to determine an overall grade. Parents are encouraged to stay abreast of progress via Parent Portal over the course of the entire trimester. Click here to set up parent portal weekly emails. This will help you stay on top of your child's grades.
- Learning support students and reading support students will receive progress reports at the same time that report cards go live on Parent Portal in December.
- All children in grades K-5, receive needs improvement (NI), progressing (P), or demonstrates consistently (DC) for Learning Related Behaviors (LRBs). In order to achieve DC, a child needs to exhibit the expectation close to 100% of the time. Progressing (P) is completely appropriate, as it captures a behavior that is observed on a regular basis. This year, your child may receive N/A if there is not enough data/information to accurately assess the LRB.
- Special Area Subjects for grades K-5, we utilize standards-based reporting as noted above for K-2. There will be items that our special area teachers will mark N/A as we do not have enough evidence/data to accurately assess.
SQUARE 1 ART ORDERS ARE DUE NOVEMBER 20th!
Square 1 Art makes great holiday gifts and helps support our school!
If you haven’t uploaded your child’s Square 1 Art project, here is the link to upload their art: https://shop.square1art.com/Shop/upload
Then feel free to shop from now until November 20th at: https://shop.square1art.com/Shop/view-all-products
Thank you to all of the families that already ordered! If you have questions or need help finding your child’s access code, please contact our art teacher, Mrs. Russell: JRussell1@wcasd.net
What to do if your child is not feeling well?
Do the Daily Home Screening checklist with your child every day, and follow the guidelines for keeping sick children home.
Call the Safe Arrival line to report your child’s absence. 484 266-1610
Contact your health care provider if your child has symptoms.
Contact the nurse’s office if your child or another person in the household is getting a test for Covid-19. Keep your child home if he/she is waiting for test results or if your child has a known exposure to someone who tests positive for Covid-19.
Nurse: Wendy McGregor email@example.com 484 266-1606
Request for assistance - remote and cyber students
In an effort to provide additional support for students and parents during remote learning, the district has created a “Request for Academic Assistance” form for each of the WCASD schools. Students, parents and faculty may complete a form on behalf of a student who is struggling with attendance, work completion or social/emotional learning. This form will be reviewed by a member of the Multi-Tiered System of Supports Team (MTSS) to determine the available resources that can be provided. While the form is available, we still recommend reaching out directly to your child's teacher to discuss any concerns.
Planning for the Holidays-Join our HOLIDAY LIGHTS TOUR!!! Who will be the WINNER?
TREERING 2020-21 YEARBOOK 5% Discount extended until 11/18
DETAILS HERE: https://fernhillpto.membershiptoolkit.com/yearbook
Questions email firstname.lastname@example.org
WCASD Counseling and Mental Health Professionals Service Guide
We recognize that our students at home may feel isolated. Please know that one of our main goals is to help your children feel connected to their teacher, classroom and Fern Hill! Our district has a Counseling and Mental Health Professionals Service Guide to provide supports and resources if your child is having a difficult time through all of this. This guide provides Counselor and Mental Health Professionals' contact information, services, important forms, and additional resources for parents of students Kindergarten through 12th grade.