By: Ashrith Reddy
Election of 1968
- Inaugurated on January 20,1969
- Ran as Republican nominee
- Won with 301 electoral votes against democratic candidate Hubert Humphrey(191 votes)
- Also, ran against Independent George Wallace with 46 votes.
- Won with 31,710,470 votes
Election of 1972
- Republican nominee with 520 electoral votes or 46,740,323 votes.
- Ran against democratic George McGorvin with 17 electoral votes or 28,901,598 votes.
- Widest margin victory in history, win for Nixon.
Vietnam War Under Nixon
- First act was to issue a policy of Vietnamization which slowly withdrew 540,000 troops in South Vietnam.
- Issued policy in order to calm the public down.
- Policy allowed the natives to take over the war with American support.
- Policy led to Nixon Doctrine which stated that US would honor commitments but not in the future(except through aid).
- Troops were ordered to attack enemy in Cambodia.
- Order came from Nixon in April 29,1970.
- Attack caused riots and college protests,lives lost.
- Troops were withdrawn on June 29,1970.
- President power limited by War Powers Act which required 48 hour notice of conflict to Congress.
Policy of Détente
- Nixon visited China and Moscow
- Visits led to a period of relaxed tension or Détente between all
- Resulted in $750 million worth of grains to USSR
- Resulted in agreement or SALT( strategic Arms Limitation Talks)
- Began on June 17,1972, 5 men arrested with electronic bugging equipment working for CREEP at Watergate apartment office.
- Building was Democrat headquarters.
- Tip of iceberg in corruption
- 29 people resigned as a result
- Congress passed first article of impeachment for obstruction of justice in july 1974.
- On August 8th, 1974 Nixon resigned due to scandals instead of impeachment.