THE TROJAN TIMES
News for January 29 - February 5
MADE BY DIGITAL JOURNALISM STUDENTS
Written by Jaden Hancin, Jada McCollum, Skyilar Mitchell, Anna Claire Nolfe, Joseph Sandefur, Meadow Stowell, Kate Walden, Holly Yazdi, and Lillie Yazdi.
Mardi Gras Parades
- 12:30 p.m. - Mystics of Ashland Place <kids> (Lanier Avenue)
- 6:30 p.m. - Order of Inca (Mobile, Route A)
- 6:45 p.m. - Apollo's Mystic Ladies (Daphne)
- 10 a.m. - Hickory Ridge Kids Krewe <kids> (Timberly Circle)
- 2 p.m. - Mobile Mystics, Mobile Mystical Revelers (Mobile, Route A)
- 6:30 p.m. - Maids of Mirth, Butterfly Maidens, Krewe of Marry Mates (Mobile, Route A)
- 6:45 p.m. - Knights of Ecor Rouge (Fairhope)
- 2 p.m. - Mystics of Children <kids> (Rosswood Drive)
- 2 p.m. - Crewe of Woodmont <kids> (Village Drive, Daphne)
- 6:30 p.m. - Neptune's Daughters, OOI (Mobile, Route A)
- 6:30 p.m. - Order of Venus, Order of Many Faces (Mobile, Route A)
- 6:30 p.m. - Order of LaShe's (Mobile, Route A)
- 10 a.m. - Order of Impalas <kids> (St. Ignatius Catholic School)
- 6:30 p.m. - Mystic Stripers Society (Mobile, Route A)
- 6:30 p.m. - Crewe of Columbus (Mobile, Route A)
- 6:30 p.m. - Mystical Order of Mirams (Orange Beach)
- 6:45 p.m. - Maids of Jubilee (Fairhope)
Reg- A Wrinkle in Time
Adv- The Book Thief
Lindsey: Test Tuesday on DNA. Notebook check Wednesday
Duke: Europe Map test, Chapter 1 open book test Tuesday.
Majewski: Check Moodle
Holt: Europe Map test, Chapter 1 open book test Tuesday.
Kinard: Had a test on Chapter 25 Wednesday. Check Inow for grades.
Surrey - Taking Roman Unit Test
Boone - Pre: Continuing Ch 2 linear functions
A1: Ch 7 Laws of Exponents
Law - Adv: Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Standard: Finish Roll of thunder
Larisey - Christianity
Benefield - Exploring Density
Madison - Best Played plans of Mice and Men
Art (Bittinger): Students will learn about abstraction before creating a Hurricane Tree using masking tape & paint. Mrs. Bittinger is always taking
21 Century Skills (Pearson): Creating a business website using Weebly.
Peer Helpers (Blake): Peer Helper conference. Hashtags of the week: #KindnessMatters #BeKindDMS
FACS (K. Taylor): Infant care.
Choir (Trawick): Writing mini-musical.
Restaurant of the Week
Quote of the Week
The Great Kindness Challenge at DMS
The following 8th grade DMS students art work has been selected to participate in the State Superintendent’s Art Contest in Montgomery!
Congratulations guys! Have fun!
Athlete of the Week
ART OF THE WEEK
Song of the Week
The Social List
Instagram: You should go follow @josephsandefurr because his feed is always on point.
Twitter: @lillieyazdi is one of the best twitter accounts in the WORLD! She always tweeted out very deep things and it really hits you like a milk truck.
DIY project of the week!
Top Food Items
Recipe of the week
Garlicky Appetizer Shrimp Scampi
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds large shrimp - peeled and deveined
- Add all ingredients to list
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 6 minutes
Ready In: 21 minutes
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together softened butter, olive oil, garlic, shallots, chives, salt, pepper, and paprika; add the shrimp, and toss to coat.
- Lightly oil grill grate. Cook the shrimp as close to the flame as possible for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque.
Track and Field schedule
Above is a picture of Coach Woodham's rotation for who goes into the Health room for the whole month of January.
MEET MRS. SURREY
What else would you like to see with the stakeholders inside the community?
She would like to see more communication with leaders, facility, and students.
If you weren't a teacher what would you want to be?
Mrs. Surrey would probably still be working with the public or some community outreach.
If you could go anywhere on summer break where would it be?
She would want to go to Rome on summer break.
Where did you go to college? What degrees do you have?
Mrs. Surrey went to South Alabama. She got a Bachelor's degree in Science, a Master's degree in Ed, and National Board Certified.
How old were you when you decided to be a teacher?
At age 27 she decided to be a teacher.
CARLEY'S WORDS OF WISDOM
- Inathletics in life sometimes it's good to lose
- When you lose, you need to ask yourself tough questions…What are your weaknesses? How can you improve team chemistry? What can I do better to make sure that it doesn't happen again?
- Mark of a true winner is defined by taking the losses and learning from those experiences
- Any day of the week I'd rather win but in order to be great sometimes you have to lose
- The key is to make sure your not repeating the same mistakes that made you lose
- LIMIT your mistakes and you will always have a chance to win in life