Parent and Family Newsletter
A Message From the Principal
Black History Month is a very special month on the campus of Trinidad Garza ECHS. Our Black Student Association has decorated bulletin boards, organized a vendor fair to celebrate black entrepreneurs, held jewelry-making workshops, and they have even more events planned for our campus community. It gives me so much pride to see our campus celebrate the rich culture and contributions from the African American community!
We are six weeks into the second semester and making great gains towards our academic goals! Our students are doing well in their college classes and earning the credits they need towards their associate degrees. Continue to monitor their college classes and please let us know if you are noticing they need any extra supports. Our advisory teachers are monitoring college grades on a weekly basis, but if you notice anything that needs our attention- please let us know!
Monday is President's Day and there are no high school classes, but there will be college classes. Some professors have moved classes to virtual, some have cancelled, and some are still having in-person classes. Please check with your student on the status of their Monday college classes. Enjoy your 3-Day weekend!
February 20 - No High School (Presidents day) *College classes will still occur.
February 20 - Spring Parent Survey Opens
February 21 - TELPAS TESTING 9th grade
February 22 - TELPAS TESTING 9th grade
February 23 - TELPAS TESTING 10th grade
February 24 - TELPAS TESTING 11th grade
February 24 - Free dress for $3 (senior fundraiser)
February 27 - TELPAS TESTING 12th grade
March 1 - SAT Testing 11th grade
March 3 - Free dress for $3 (senior fundraiser)
March 8 - Progress reports are issued.
March 13-17 - Spring Break
March 20 - Senior dues
March 28 - Report Cards are issued.
March 31 - Senior Field Trip
April 13 - College Drop Date
April 29 - Senior Prom
May 17 - Graduation Rehearsal
May 20 - Class of 2023 Graduation, Ellis Davis Field House, 3:00 pm
June 5 - Summer I Classes begin
July 10 - Summer II Classes begin
Senior Meeting Recap
Trini Garza ECHS Celebrates Black History Month
Students and administrators wore dashikis to celebrate BHM
What is a Dashiki ?
The name dashiki or "dyshque" is from the Yoruba dàńṣíkí, literally meaning 'shirt' or 'inner garment'. Worn in West Africa and becoming popular among the Diaspora during the Civil Rights movement of the 1960’s as a symbol of pride and connection to the African Ancestors.
Spring Parent Survey Opens Feb 20!
Buy your Yearbook Today!
- Students must bring District Issued Device Daily and charged.
- Students must be arriving on time to class and ready to learn.
- Students must be wearing their student ID at all times on campus.
- Students must be wearing Garza logos.
- Blazers must be worn on Wednesdays
- Students must be in Garza designated areas at all times.
- Parents please check Powerschool and ecampus with your student weekly. Please check every Friday with your student.
- If your student has missed school please turn in an excuse note ASAP to Mrs. Cervantes.
After School Detention
Student Pick up and Drop off Reminders
- Students must be dropped off at the Garza Designated area. The East side located on Knoxville and Illinois.
- Please remember that the speed limit on campus is 20mph.
- Please be mindful of the cones placed around the campus. They are placed there for a reason.
- Please make sure that you are following the stop signs and following Tx Traffic laws.
- Campus police will be taking action if violated.
Dallas ISD Bus (Update)
Per the Dallas College Mountainview Campus police department there are some modifications to the pick-up routes at the Mountainview campus.
The map below shows the new ISD's bus route for evening pick-ups starting Monday, February 13 located in the B-Building by the tennis courts. The morning drop off will remain the same, and the buses will continue to drop off students as usual
If your student has been absent and needs to submit an absence note please send them to Ms. Cervantes in W34A. Excuse notes are needed ASAP so that they can be put in the system for corrections.
If you need help setting up Powerschool please contact Ms. Cervantes.
Email : email@example.com
TSI Testing Center is OPEN
TSIA2 Testing and Preparation
We need all 9th and 10th grade students who have not passed TSI to take the TSI exam. Please see Mrs. Gonzalez to setup a time to take your TSI exam in the Testing Center at Mountain View College. Make sure to bring an ID and to give a copy of your results to Mrs. Gonzalez.
TSI is a state-legislated program designed to improve student success in college. Part of the program is an assessment to determine basic skills in reading, mathematics, and writing. Each grade level should be focusing on a different portion of the assessment, with the goal of being TSIA2 met in both Reading/Writing and Math by the end of the 10th-grade year:
- 9th-grade focus: Reading/Writing
- 10th-grade focus: Math
A passing score on the TSIA2 test is required in order to take most of the dual-credit courses on our Associate Degree crosswalks. Passing the TSIA2 is a graduation requirement at Garza ECHS.
English Language Arts and Reading (ELAR) Standard:
- ELAR Score of 945+ AND Essay Score of 5 – 8
- ELAR Score under 945 AND ELAR Diagnostic Level of 5 – 6 AND Essay Score of 5 - 8
TSIA2 Math Standard:
- Math Score Under 950 AND Math Diagnostic Level of 6
TSIA2 Resources, Links, and Tutorials
Accuplacer Test Prep--The ACCUPLACER website features practice questions and other study tools to help you prepare for the TSI assessment. You can also login to take the Texas version of a web-based practice test to familiarize yourself with the tests three different content areas.
EdReady--TSIA2 test prep website. All students are required to sign-up and create an account. Create an account today using the information provided below:
- Navigate to disd.edready.org and click Get Started.
- After creating their accounts, they will receive an email confirmation with an activation link.
- After logging in they will be prompted to enter a goal key. The goal key for all North Lake students is northlake (all lowercase). They will be able to access both the math and reading study paths with that one code. And they only need to enter the goal key one time to add it to their dashboard.
- There is a walkthrough video and a student quick start guide at the bottom of the disd.edready.org main page if they need assistance
Dallas College Resources
Important Message from Dallas College
Greetings Students and Parents,
We are sending a reminder to all Early College High School students that Dallas College has support services available to help you be successful in your college courses.
Below is a list of Learning Support resources that you can use to assist with your classes.
· Library- Discover hours and services for your campus library.
· Tutoring Services- Tutoring is available to all Dallas College students online and face to face. Drop-in tutoring visits are available at all campuses.
· Ask a Tutor- Please complete the Ask a Tutor form for assistance or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a response within 24 hours.
To make the most of online tutoring, we recommend using Google Chrome and connecting a headset (earbuds and microphone) to your computer.
How to Access Online Tutoring from eCampus
1. Visit the Blackboard Institutional Page (sign-on required)
2. Look for "Online Tutoring" under the Learning Support header.
You can also search for additional communities via the Organizational Search tool.
We hope that by re-sharing these resources this will help you finish the semester successfully.
Follow us on Social Media!
Please like our Trini Garza ECHS Facebook page and Twitter! This is where we post important information and pictures daily!
The Dallas ISD Parent Portal system uses PowerSchool. It is a valuable resource available in English and Spanish for parents/guardians to use to become more involved in their children’s education.
Parent Portal provides parents/guardians with three key benefits:
- Secure on-line access to their children's grades, assignments, and attendance
- Email alerts of absences and grade average changes
- A two-way communication tool for parents and teachers
Register today for a PowerSchool Parent Portal account and become a partner in your child’s education.
New and Returning Users:
If this is your first time signing up for a PowerSchool account, click on the link below then select “Parent Sign In” followed by “Create an Account Here”
Para ver esta información en español, pulse aquí.
Questions? Send an email to ParentPortal@dallasisd.org
DISD Parent Resources
Campus Important Links
Trinidad Garza ECHS
Location: 4849 W Illinois Ave, Dallas, TX, USA