Viking Family Digest
August 3, 2022
Welcome to the 2022-2023 School Year!
First Day of School
When: Wednesday, August 17th
Time: 7:40am - 1:00pm ** Early Release**
What to Bring: Bring your backpack and school supplies, if you have not been in to set up your locker already. There will be lunch on Early Release days, please plan accordingly
Arrival: See below for procedures
Calling All 2022-23 RBMS 6th Graders
Hey, 6th Graders, please join us for VIKINGS Jump Start at RBMS! This 2-day program will run from Monday, August 8th through Thursday, August 11th. We will meet at Richard Bernotas Middle School from 8:45 am – 11:00am for your 2 days of Jump Start. This is an opportunity for 6th graders to get to know their way around Bernotas, meet their teachers, get their locker assignment (and practice getting in it), meet their new classmates, walk their schedule before the first day, and other fun activities! ** Drop students off at the front of the building. They will enter at DOOR 20 (Athletic Entrance) – pick up students from the front at 11:00 **
Please get in touch with Evan Kozlowski for any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orientation Nights - 6th Graders and NEW 7th/8th graders
The purpose of this night is to have a short presentation about middle school life and have the opportunity to walk through the building to find your student's classrooms. You can also drop off any school paperwork (physicals, etc.) The evening will begin with a presentation in the Main Gym. Please enter through door 1# (main entrance).
Dates and Times:
- 6th Grade & New 7th/8th Graders A- L : August 9th (6:00pm - 7:00pm)
- 6th Grade & New 7th/8th Graders M-Z: August 11th (6:00 pm - 7:00 pm)
*If you cannot attend your night, you may attend the other one*
Locker Set Up
Friday August 12th 8:00am - 3:00pm
Monday August 15th 8:00am - 3:00pm
Bring in your materials to set up your locker. There is no need to make an appointment, this is a walk-in event. Linked here is the school supply list for the school year. Organization is key to a successful year. Here are a few tips for you:
- No tape is to be used - please use magnets
- Find an organizational strategy that works for your child (color coding folders/ binder, etc).
- Minimal decorations help to keep things organized.
Erin's Law - Be Seen and Heard Program
In response to the state mandate of educating students about Erin’s Law, District 47 will again be hosting the Be Seen and Heard© program, a prevention-oriented child sexual abuse awareness program, for students in grades K-8. Parents/guardians are invited to attend a special informational meeting about the Be Seen and Heard© program on Monday, August 15th, 2022 at 6:30 pm at Husmann Elementary School (131 Paddock St. in Crystal Lake). Spanish translation will be provided. To learn more about Victor Pacini or Erin’s Law, or see an overview of the program, click these links: About Victor Pacini, about Erin’s Law, the English Peace of Mind Video for Parents , and Spanish Peace of Mind Video for Parents
Welcome to the 2022-2023 School Year! The Bernotas PTO is looking for volunteers! Please take a moment to fill out the Volunteer Form
If you are unsure, and would like more information, please reach out! If you have worked on an elementary school PTO, or volunteered for events, please know that middle school is a different level of commitment, and it goes by quickly!
Please feel free to email me at email@example.com, and I would be happy to connect with you! All of our meetings are open to all, please come anytime!
Physicals and Immunizations
Be sure to schedule your back-to-school physicals and immunizations now. These are due before the first day of school. To access the health forms click here.
7th and 8th Grade Volleyball Tryouts
The 7th & 8th-grade conference volleyball Tryouts will be held on Monday, August 15th from 3:15 pm to 4:30 pm, and Tuesday, August 16th from 3:15 pm to 4:30 pm. To tryout, you must have a physical on file (current physical, sports physicals only are valid for 1 year) in the nurse's office and you need to be registered on 8 to 18. You can find 8 to 18 through the above link as well as on the Bernotas Website. Here is the link to the 7th & 8th Grade Volleyball 2022 Girls Volleyball Schedule
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
ALL busing will be out front, both in the morning and afternoon.
- 6th Grade at door #20 (athletic entrance)
- 7th Grade at door #2 (flag pole)
- 8th Grade at door #1 (main entrance)
Walkers and bike riders:
Walkers and bike riders will be coming in the front of the school (Door #1) along with bus riders.
Parents will enter through the church parking lot off of Oak Street and follow signs to drop off students at our door #5. They will then exit from the back parking lot.
- 6th Grade enter and exit at door #7
- 7/8th Grade enter and exit at door #5
Tips and Tricks to Start off Middle School
- Just as in grade school, middle school is a PBIS school. At RBMS we are respectful, responsible, and safe. We open the THOR Store on Fridays during lunch to redeem Thor Hammers earned.
- All 6th graders will receive new Chromebooks in August. You should charge them nightly and update them weekly.
Assignment Notebook and Schedules
- All 6th-grade students will receive an assigned notebook in August. Be sure to label them with your student's name and grade. Also, review the student handbook with your student.
- Print your personalized schedule which you can get from ParentVue
- Clever: Your student is proficient in using this portal, they'll continue using it at RBMS
- StudentVue/ParentVue: Access to homework, grades, and schedule
- SeeSaw: Main communication source between teachers, parents, and students
Please review the middle school cell phone policy linked here.
Information regarding class assignments/schedules and bus information will be available as of Wednesday, Aug 10th after 12:00pm.
NEW: Reporting Student Absences via ParentVue
Starting with the 2022-23 school year, District 47’s attendance reporting procedures will change. If a student will be absent from school, parents/guardians will need to log into ParentVue to report the absence and notify the school. Click the link for more information.
To view information regarding Bernotas's PTO meeting dates and board members, click this link.
Be "In the Know" - Download the D47 app!
170 N. Oak St.
Crystal Lake, IL 60014