Colerain All Stars Newsletter
Week of Feb 28th
- Tyler Phillips - the Manager of Supporter Relations for the Columbus Crew gave a fun, engaging presentation to Colerain Students last week. See pictures below.
- FEED-A-FRIEND - again, this month was a big success. Thank you to all staff and families that donated.
- Money at School - please do not send your student to school with money to avoid the risk of loss. If your child needs money for after school, then please put in backpack in sealed envelop.
- BlendEd Registration - this is the online only school option. Registration ends TODAY February 28th. Please talk with your teacher before making this decision. They can help you determine if it would be a good fit.
- Colerain T-Shirts - t-shirt order forms are due (with payment) to school by March 11th. If you still need an order form, please print this one: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eRBWBUavmxkr--ClQ3z68GWJRuWtRhSUDHTKHi5xIoE/edit?usp=sharing
- Spring Picture Day - Friday, March 11th - We will not be sending Order Flyers home with students. Therefore, order online at www.inter-state.com/FlyerEntry/68004EF using Order Code is 68004EF. Only those students who preorder will be photographed.
- NO SCHOOL - Wednesday, March 9th (prof dev day) and Wednesday, March 23rd (records day)
- World Down Syndrome Day - Monday, March 21st - wear "silly socks" to school in support/celebrate
Black History Month
8 Ways to Honor Black History Month (all year long)
- Support Black-Owned Businesses
- Learn About Noteworthy Black Figures and Their Contributions
- Donate to Organizations That Support Anti-Racism Equity and Equality
- Purchase, Read, and Share Books by Black Author
- Participate in Online Events
- Support and Learn About Black Women
- Listen to or Read “The 1619 Project” by the New York Times
- Attend Virtual Black History Month Celebrations
Thank you Tyler Phillips for your presentation to Colerain Students!
The "cash" is a way of rewarding students for mirroring positive behaviors.
It's not too early to register for the many summer camps available around town:
- Camp Wyandot Overnight Camp Registration
- Camp Wyandot Day Camp Registration
- Columbus Parks & Recreation Camps
- MathPlus Camps
- Columbus Zoo Camps
- The Past Foundation Camps
- ***NEW: Franklin County Metro Parks Camps
- ***NEW: Columbus Children's Theater Camps
- ***NEW: Just Hoops Basketball Camps
The CCS Summer Experience is also a good option for six weeks of exciting school and community-based learning experiences. Registration opens March 15th.
Dominion M.S. "In Person" Tours
- Wednesday, March 2 at 5:30 PM
- Wednesday, March 16 at 5:30 PM
School Choice Deadlines
- DUE BY - Tuesday, March 22, 2022. - this applies to our lottery and overflow families.
Elementary School Lottery Applications:
- DUE BY - Thursday, March 31, 2022
All applications must be submitted via the Parent Portal https://www.ccsoh.us/Domain/188
Middle School Success - PART 6
Part 6: Build structure together
- Rules...middle schoolers still need them. The best rules are easy to understand and consistent.
- Rules will sometimes be broken. Work together to create consequences that make sense.
- What's the point? Talk about why the rules are important for your middle schooler.
more info coming soon about Career Tech Options
Pathways Express - MARCH
Each weekend in March, students and families can explore one of the city’s most eclectic destinations, as well as shop at various merchants courtesy of gift cards donated by North Market (while supplies last).
The District’s Family & Community Resource Day will be hosted on Saturday, March 12, and it will feature:
- Special Scavenger Hunt;
- Book signing and reading from Brian Weisfeld, author of “The Startup Squad;”
- Giveaways from Hot Chicken Takeover, Jeni Ice Cream, and Block Bagels; and
- Resources and support from the CCS Family Engagement team and local partners.
More details here: https://www.ccsoh.us/Page/11279
Learning Extension Centers (LECs) Are Still Available
Each Learning Extension Center has their own ways to sign up and register. Service hours are also different. Some even offer services after school and early evening.
Click here to search/find LECs near you and their days/times they operate. Email or call the LEC contact to register.
Portrait of a Graduate Video
00:18 00:40 04:59 06:56 08:42 17:40
00:33 03:51 05:05 07:05 14:55 18:48
00:36 03:59 06:23 08:38 14:59 22:24
- FREE Vaccine Locations (no appointment needed): see flyer below
- Ohio Department of Health: https://gettheshot.coronavirus.ohio.gov/
- Columbus Public Health: https://www.columbus.gov/c19vax/
- Children's Hospital: https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/family-resources-education/health-wellness-and-safety-resources/covid-19/vaccine
- Your Pediatrician: call them to see if they are providing vaccines yet
- Huckleberry House (CRISIS Shelter)
- Real Mom Nutrition (CCS mom and Family Ambassador)
- First Tee Central Ohio (FREE Golf Classes for CCS Students)
- Columbus Parks & Rec Summer Camp Registration (outdoor camp registration starts Thursday, February 24th at 7 pm indoor camp registration starts March 1st at 7 pm)
- Joseph's Coats (& household goods)
- Children's Advocacy Project
- Cota Plus (rides to and from your home...accessible vehicles per request)
- Black Mental Health
- Tutoring Resources
- Action for Children
- CCS Website
- CCS Parent Portal
- CCS Peach Jar Flyers (community resources)
- CCS School Year Calendar
- CCS Virtual Family Engagement Sessions (current and archived sessions)
- CCS Translated Documents
- CCS Health Hub
- CCS Quarantine Guidelines (and Flow Chart)
- Special Ed Parent Mentor Program
Colerain Family Ambassador - Matt Dixon
The Family Ambassador is a liaison that facilitates partnerships, between families and the school, that support student academic success and well being.
If you have any questions, ideas, or feedback, please reach out to me either phone or email.