The Family Zone
Lectionary-Based Playlist /Issue 38/December 20, 2020
SUNDAY READINGS: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/122020.cfm
Humphrey's First Christmas by Carol Heyer
The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado
Who is Coming to Our House? by Joseph Slate
Twas the Evening of Christmas by Glenys Nellist
Focus on ways to bring Christ into your Christmas celebration:
Spend some time with this reflection on Mary: https://lifeteen.com/blog/who-was-mary-a-reflection-on-the-mother-of-god/
- Write a love letter to the baby Jesus and put it in the manger
- Write a special love letter to each of your family members and place them on the Christmas tree to be opened Christmas morning
- Send Christmas Cards to those who you have been separated from this year. Make the messages personal and heartfelt
- Write notes of Christmas cheer and support to your neighbors
- Use social media to proclaim HOPE, PEACE and LOVE..the Good News of the Birth of Christ!
- Have fun with this Away in a Manger Nativity Game! https://activity-mom.com/2013/12/away-in-a-manger-dice-game/
- Create a family Christmas pageant in your home! https://ministry-to-children.com/christmas-play-for-children/
- Build a manger scene out of legos! Use one of these plans to inspire you: https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/l.dorst/lego/nativity.html https://frugalfun4boys.com/lego-nativity-set-instructions/
Craft these beautiful stained glass nativity ornaments together: https://www.iheartartsncrafts.com/stained-glass-nativity-ornament-craft-kids/
Build a "gingerbread" nativity scene together: https://natashaskitchen.com/gingerbread-nativity-manger-scene/
Make homemade ornaments together:Let your child experience the joy of gift giving by making something special for loved ones. Here are some ideas:
- What do you think Mary was feeling when she was visited by the Angel?
- How do you think Joseph felt when she told him?
- Are there other parents I know who might be afraid for what is ahead as "Mom" and "Dad?"
- Who is alone this week? How can I bring them comfort?
- What was the stable like? What did it look like? Smell like? Sound like? Was it hot, or cold? Were Mary and Joseph hungry?