Weekly Newsletter - February 21, 2019
Our Mission and Vision Statements
St. Joseph Catholic School provides students with a safe and prayerful learning environment, enveloped by an intimate community of active and faithful families.
Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fort Worth are committed to opening the doors so that our students can reach further than the walls that would otherwise enclose them and therefore are able to recognize and cherish the eternal and transcendental goods of Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.
From the Principal
I am happy to announce we have successfully participated in our third accreditation by the Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops Education Department! Every seven years we can expect a team to visit. The Accreditation Team truly enjoyed their time with us. They had complimentary things to say about our students, our families, our faculty and staff. Thank you for making them feel welcome! We have much to be proud of at St. Joseph Catholic School.
Our school is more than just a place to learn, it is a place to fully grow. It is a place to develop life-skills, a moral compass, and to encounter Christ. Each day I have the privilege of visiting classrooms to find students helping one another, encouraging one another, actively engaged in their learning, all while forming their Christian faith as missionary disciples. This is living Truth.
In Christ's service,
Diane Price, M.Ed.L.
Truth Bible Verse for February
Saintly Quotes to Ponder
Humility is nothing but truth, and pride is nothing but lying. - St. Vincent de Paul
If you want peace, work for justice. If you want justice, defend life. If you want life, embrace the truth – the truth revealed by God. - St. John Paul the Great
Latin and greek roots challenge
Enrollment for 2019-2020
- Current students - The deadline has passed to inform the school of your not returning. Enrollment fees for current families posted on February 15th and are non-refundable.
- New Sibling Enrollment Application - The link to this application for current families enrolling a new sibling for the fall, can now be found on ParentsWeb.
- New Family Enrollment Application - The link to this application for new families to the school will be found on the school website February 8th.
Updated 2/22/19 - Stephen Breen Basketball Tournament and T-shirts
I have just learned that the online ordering is no longer open. If you would like a t-shirt, please go to a game and purchase one on site.
The Stephen Breen Basketball Tournament is held annually at St. Andrew Catholic School, with 6th & 7th grade teams from around the Diocese participating. All proceeds benefit the Stephen Breen Memorial Foundation.
The Stephen Breen Memorial Foundation is committed to offering financial aid to local children who seek the strength and values of a Catholic education and to those courageous children and their families whose lives are afflicted with cancer.
All Diocesan 6th, 7th and 8th grade basketball player names are listed on the back of the shirt. What a great keepsake! T-shirt sales benefit a great cause.
You can support the Stephen Breen Foundation by purchasing a tournament t-shirt AND you will receive FREE ADMISSION to the tournament when wearing your shirt.
SJCS students are allowed to wear their t-shirt with their uniform bottoms during the last week of the tournament (except on Wednesday for Mass). The dates to wear the t-shirt will be Feb. 25th, 26th, 28th, and Mar. 1st.
SJCS - Boosterthon!
Here's All the info!
The Knights on the Run Fun Run is almost here! Many thanks to the families who have already taken the time to register for the fun run event that is beginning on February 25th. Please take time to register your child(ren). It doesn't cost anything to register and your child will get a free gift for doing so, once the Boosterthon team is on our campus.
It is very simple to do. Go to funrun.com and use the code below to register:
PreK - 5th Lower School Code: 636-458
6th - 8th Upper School Code: 431-746
The experience will begin with a pep rally on Monday, February 25th followed by 7 days of a program that builds character called #MindSpark Mystery Lab. The character program will take place during your child’s specials' times at school. Registering does not obligate you to pay anything. Let’s be the first school EVER to have 100% of our students register!
Look at this! You can even create a video starring your child, to support our school! Register your student on funrun.com and upload a picture to make a personal video. Share it with friends and family. It is the EASIEST and BEST way to ask for a #Boosterthon pledge!
Click on the link below to see Mrs. Gallagher's video! Thank you for your support!
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- Free Dress - Friday, February 22nd for students of HSA Members who attended the meeting on Wednesday the 20th. Please follow the free dress guidelines set in the Parent/Student Handbook.
My Special Knight: Boots and Bling, February 22nd. This is a special dance on Friday in the Marian Center from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm. This dance is for all female students and their dad or significant male figure. See the flyer in the Thursday Folder for costs.
Knights on the Run Fun Run Pep Rally will be next Monday, February 25th, and will be powered by Boosterthon! Pre-K - 5th Pep Rally will be at 1:15pm and 6th- 8th will be at 2:00pm! Join us! Our #Boosterthon fundraiser is just 1 WEEK AWAY! We’ll start with the Pep Rally and end with a big Fun Run! We’re raising funds to meet our HSA budget for school operating cost that helps keep tuition cost down. We need your help!
- If you are an Amazon customer, please use Amazon Smile! We receive a donation from Amazon when you shop. Go to: smile.amazon.com to participate. It is a very easy way to support the school! Thank you!
- If you know a St. Joseph Catholic School alumni, please let them know we are looking to stay in contact, and would love to hear how they are doing. See the notice in our alumni section of below.
Home and School Association (HSA)
- Our March Spirit Knight will occur on Tuesday, March 5th, at On the Border located at 1121 W. Interstate 20. This event will last ALL DAY LONG - OPEN TO CLOSE! Come on out and say hello! The school receives a portion of the funds raised. Y
ou don't need a flyer! Just make sure you mention you are with St. Joseph Catholic School. The school will receive 20% back of sales to St. Joseph Catholic School customers!
- The next HSA Meeting will be March 20th in the school cafeteria. This will be the Volunteer Appreciation Dinner. Be watching for more information to come. There is a free dress day on Friday, March 22nd, for the children of HSA members in attendance that night.
- Please bring in your box tops. Be sure to check out the bulletin board display in the cafeteria to see which homeroom is in the lead! Thank you for all the hard work cutting and collecting for the school!
- Looking for uniform pieces? Need to sell some pieces your child has outgrown? There is a Facebook page for that: SJCS Online Uniform Resale.
Safe Environment Training
You must first create a profile in VIRTUS for the Safe Environment Diocesan Program.
Per the Diocese, all school volunteers if they are current on Safe Environment, will have until 7/31/19 to renew through VIRTUS if you do not expire before that date. You need to go on the VIRTUS website and make a profile. You can do this without signing up for a class. Profiles are needed in the new system so we know you have previous training, as the old database is no longer open for viewing.
02/25/2019 6:30 PM St. Vincent de Paul Parish Arlington
02/26/2019 6:00 PM St. Andrew Parish Fort Worth
03/02/2019 9:00 AM St. Patrick Cathedral Fort Worth
03/02/2019 9:30 AM St. Vincent de Paul Parish Arlington
The upcoming Safe Environment Awareness Sessions at St. Joseph:
SATURDAY, MARCH 16
Both classes will be in the Community Center.
Knights in Action!
8th grade student of the month
Moments around campus
| || |
Fractions and Flowers
Mrs. Wolanin's 3rd grade class built fraction table models out of pool noodles in order to compare fractions. They also began a science experiment using food color, water, and white carnations. They will observe the flowers for five days and log any changes. I wonder what they will find?
Fractions and Flowers
Upper School Meet and Greet!
| || |
This week, our Upper School Faculty invited the 5th graders and their families into their classrooms, so parents and students could ask questions about Upper School life. Thank you for coming, families!
Displays around campus
Roboknights in action!
National college signing day - February 6, 2019
ONCE A KNIGHT, FOREVER A KNIGHT!
Do you have any information you would like to share with the entire Knight Community? We would love that as well! Please send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once a Knight - Forever a Knight!
Meet our parish priests!
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Parish
- Please keep Fr. Tom in your prayers as his mother passed away this week.
- Be sure to look into FORMED.org. The parish has paid for your subscription to this vast library of inspiring videos and essential reads to help grow your faith. Just go straight to the "Enter Code" button and enter 4BDX9H to begin the process. You may also access this through the parish website link below. Enjoy!
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is occurring after daily Mass in the Chapel until 5:45pm. Come spend some time with our Lord.
- Please enjoy this link to a lovely article in the North Texas Catholic about the pastor of St. Joseph Parish, Fr. Kelley: https://t.co/3ItrotxIyf
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth link:
ST. JOSEPH, PROTECTOR OF FAMILIES, PRAY FOR US.