The Thirteen Colony's : Virginia
By Jesus Vergara
"Come live in Virginia now,
We work hard.
We have the greatest settlement in America
"It's the real deal."
"It 's a fantastic place to live."
- Virginia was founded by John Smith back in 1607 and other colonists including John Rolfe.
- Cities and major towns were Jamestown, and Williams burg, and Richmond.
- Geography: Coastal plains, valleys, and Mountains.
- Climate: The warm climate made it possible to grow crops through out the year and was ideally for plantation's
- . Religion: Not dominated by a specific religion which gave way to religious freedom for baptists, Anglicans, and others.
- Government: By 1775 Virginia was governed as a royal colony.
- Economics and Trade: Concentrated on agriculture and developed the plantations exporting tobacco, cotton, corn, vegetables, grain, fruit and livestock.
- History: In 1618 the Head right System was set up by the London company in 1618 that gave 50 acres of land to colonists who paid their own way to Virginia, or paid the way for someone else. The self government system of the House of Burgesses was established in 1619.
- On March 25, 1584 Queen Elizabeth I of England granted a charter to Sir Walter Raleigh (1554-1618) to search and discover 'remote and heathen lands' refer to.
- Crops were traded for items that could not be produced on the plantations including shoes, lace, thread, farm tools and dishes.