SLP Superintendent's Newsletter
Week of January 13, 2020
In Case You Missed It
Department seeks applications for Summer Food Service Program sponsors (Louisiana Believes)
Visit the Newsroom.
SUPERINTENDENT PATRICK JENKINS
District 2019 - 2020 Theme: Become What You Believe!
LSBA LEGISLATIVE REMINDERS
DIRECTOR OF CURRICULUM - ANGELA CASSIMERE
New: 2019-2020 Graduate Diploma Orders (HIGH SCHOOL PATHWAYS)
Please share with counselors and data coordinators.
Please use the Diploma Order form to submit an order for the 2019-2020 graduates. All diploma requests must be submitted through the Diploma Order form by March 6. Only one form should be completed for each school system. The Department will cover the costs for the initial order and distribution.
New: Teacher Leader Summit 2020 Registration
New: Teacher Leader Summit 2020 Registration
The 2020 Teacher Leader Summit will take place May 27–29 at the Morial Convention Center in New Orleans. The Department has published an overview document to address the most frequently asked questions. Early Bird Registration opens on January 10 for the Summit with the two phases below to follow:
● Regular registration (March 2 through May 11)
● On-site registration for those who do not register by May 11
To help offset the cost of running a high-quality, multi-day event for thousands of Louisiana educators, the Department will charge a small registration fee for the 2020 Teacher Leader Summit. This fee will cover:
● admission to conference,
● conference sessions, and
● lunch May 27 and May 28.
Early Bird Registration
(January 10–March 1)
(March 2–May 11)
Educators can receive a discount by registering early and registering for all three days at once. Educators can choose to not eat the lunch provided, but may not opt-out of the registration fee.
New for 2020 - Group Registration: School system supervisors may now purchase tickets for up to 10 of their educators in one transaction. School system supervisors who elect this option should be prepared to answer questions specific to each registrant (e.g. email address, content area) at the time of purchase. The supervisor will receive a receipt showing 10 ticket purchases, and each individual registrant will receive an email confirmation with their ticket information.
New: 2020 Teacher Leader Summit T-Shirt Design Contest
Please share with teacher leaders.
The Department is seeking inspiration for 2020 Teacher Leader Summit t-shirt design! Educators with an artistic flair are encouraged to submit their design for consideration by February 7 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The winning school will receive $1 per shirt sold. Last year’s school, Montegut Middle, was awarded $968 from The Inkwell Press.
New: National School Counseling Week
Please share with counselors.
Today's school counselors are an integral part of a school’s education team. They support academic achievement, career development, and social/emotional development, ensuring students become productive, well-adjusted adults. National School Counseling Week (NSCW) is a time for school systems to highlight the tremendous impact school counselors have on students. Sponsored by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), NSCW is always celebrated the first full week of February. NSCW 2020 is February 3–7.
Please contact email@example.com with questions.
JONEL LEGER-SUPERVISOR OF MATH AND SCIENCE
Please be reminded of the Biology IHub Initial Training scheduled for Thursday, January 16, 2020, & Friday, January 17, 2020, from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm each day in the SLP Meeting Room. The district will pay for substitutes so that your biology teachers can attend this professional learning opportunity; please secure the necessary substitutes.
JEROME ROBINSON - SUPERVISOR OF CHILD WELFARE AND ATTENDANCE & ATHLETICS
a. Congratulations to all of our Parish Teams that participated in this year’s annual St. Landry Parish High School Boys & Girls Basketball Tournament
b. Congratulations to the Northwest High School Girls and the North Central High School Boys Basketball Teams and Head Coaches Nicole Manuel and Jacobi Thierry for coming out first in the tournament
(GO RAIDERS!!) (GO HURRICANES!!)
c. All coaches, as well as their student-athletes, conducted themselves well throughout the tournament (only a few minor adjustments were made).
d. Hospitality workers did a tremendous job of greeting everyone.
e. THANKS TO MR. KYLE MCFARLAIN, OUR CORPORATE SPONSOR WITH RAISING CANES, FOR SUPPLYING FOOD FOR THE HOSPITALITY ROOM.
f. Opelousas Association Officials also did a great job of managing the games & ensuring the safety of all athletes.
g. The athletic trainer(s) worked very hard for us throughout the tournament in reference to addressing injuries.
h. Media coverage was spot on throughout the tournament as well (Daily World, Eunice News, Tricia Fontenot, (District Web-Page) & the T.V. Stations as well).
Note: Big thanks to the North Central High School faculty, staff, and administration for making this year’s tournament a great success.
COACHES/PRINCIPALS: MAKE SURE YOU CONTINUE TO STRESS SPORTSMANSHIP WITH YOUR PLAYERS, FANS, & COACHING STAFF.
GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!
MATTHEW SCRUGGINS - SUPERVISOR OF PERSONNEL
Please inform all employees of the following:
1. W-2s will be available on Employee Portal 1/31/20. An email will be sent from DoNotRespond to all employees once forms are available.
2. 1095Cs will be available on Employee Portal 3/2/20. An email will be sent out for these also.
3. 1099s will be mailed to vendors 1/31/20.
SCOTT CHAMPAGNE - DIRECTOR OF TITLE 1
TITLE 1 REMINDERS
1. Please be reminded that principals of Title I schools are responsible for uploading Title I documentation into their school’s Title I Folder by the deadlines as indicated in the Title I Part A Schoolwide Programs Handbook, pages 12-13. Principals will be receiving a mid-year evaluation regarding the status of submission of required Title I documentation. Any data that is not uploaded at the end of the year will require a Corrective Action Plan to be submitted!
2. Principals of Title I schools are required to upload their monthly School Improvement Meeting minutes as well as sign-in sheets into their school’s Title I Folder.
3. Title I schools must maintain all Title I documentation for a period of five years.
4. Stipend forms (Originals signed in blue) are due to the Director of Federal Programs no later than by the 5th of the preceding month that the work was completed. For after-school tutoring, please ensure that lesson plans as well as student sign-in sheets are attached.
5. If you have not done so,, please finalize your Title IV requisitions and the necessary quotes so that the purchases can benefit your school during this school year.
6. All schools that have received Title I Direct Student Services funding are required to have provided documentation to their parents that Title I DSS funds were available for their students to participate in after-school tutoring, ACT Senior re-takes, CLEP assessments, Work Keys assessments, and AP assessments. This is past due! If you have not done so, please submit documentation of your correspondences to parents to the Federal Programs Office no later than Friday, January 10, 2020.
7. Principals are responsible for all Fixed Asset items on their campus. Please be reminded to ensure that all fixed assets that have been purchased with federal funds are accounted for at your school.
8. Please ensure that all teachers of your English Learners have a current English Learner Accommodation Plan for each of the students that they teach. Plans cannot be modified within 30 days of testing.
9. If you have not done so, please forward the School-Base Assurance Page for the Review of Procedures for English Learner Identification. These are past due..
10. 95% of Title I funding for supplies and equipment must have been expended by December 15th, 2019. Please see page 19 of the Title I Handbook. The district will provide an extended deadline of Friday, January 17, 2020 to submit requisitions for remaining supplies and equipment. After January 17, 2020, schools have until March 1st to expend the remaining 5% of the supplies and equipment. After March 1st, requisitions for supplies and equipment will not be accepted. However, funds can be utilized for tutoring.
11. Please monitor your students that have been identified as experiencing “Homelessness” to determine if they are in need of additional support such as Title I Learning Center, After-School Tutoring, etc.
THERESE ELLENDER - SUPERVISOR OF STEAM
New: Perkins Core Indicator Reports are available for the 2018-2019 school year
Please share with and counselors.
2018-2019 Perkins Core Indicators reports are now available in the C.A.T.E. portal. These reports can be found under the Reports tab by selecting published reports.
In an effort to expedite to student accident claims please make sure the attached form is filled out and sent in with the student accident form IF you believe the accident will warrant an investigation or it required medical attention.
Parents/guardians would only get a copy of the regular student accident report—the attached supplement is for our adjuster only.
ALVADO WILLIS - DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL EDUCATION
IEP DUE DATES
TRESSA MILLER - DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
Attached is a snapshot of the finance form my department will fill out for principal evaluations. We will begin incorporating this finance portion for the second semester.
Please let me know in advance when you will need this. I’ll have my staff evaluate the items listed based on current data and I’ll send you this completed form to be added to your evaluation documentation for the principals. So you won’t have to fill out or review any finance items, we will do so.
You should be reviewing and approving the following bookkeeping reports monthly. And your bookkeepers should be submitting these to Angie Marks monthly by the 15th.
- General Ledger Activity Report for the month
- Bank Reconciliation Report
- Outstanding Check Listing
- Copy of Entire Bank Statement (including copies of checks and deposits)
DECEMBER 2019 reports ARE DUE BY JANUARY 10TH. (THESE ARE PAST DUE)
- W-2s will be available on Employee Portal 1/31/20. An email will be sent from DoNotRespond to all employees once forms are available.
- 1095Cs will be available on Employee Portal 3/2/20. An email will be sent out for these also.
- Please make sure your bookkeepers/secretaries are current on entering accounting data in EPES. They should be finalizing December transactions now and presenting you with the monthly bookkeeping reports. Once we have received all reports we will begin processing vendor 1099s which are also due 1/31/20.
INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY FACILITATOR/WEBMASTER TRICIA FONTENOT
*Send me an email if there is something specific that you would like included in the e-binder.