Beginning of the Year - Goal Setting & PD Plan
A training video has been provided by the Teach for Texas website (see below). You are welcome to review the segments of the video that you have initial questions about.
"Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible." Tony Robbins
STEP 1 (now through October 4th)
Teacher Self-Assessment (Prior to the Goal Setting Conference)
The purpose of self assessment is to review teacher and student data, identify areas for professional growth, and promote a school culture of professional learners. You will need to:
- Independently and perhaps collectively review data and reflect on professional practices, including reviewing the domains, dimensions, and descriptors of the T-TESS rubric.
- Formulate targeted goals on the Goal-Setting and Professional Development Plan template to include Goals, Actions, Targeted Completion Date, and Evidence of Goal Attainment.
- Schedule an in-person Goal Setting & Professional Development (GSPD) Conference with your appraiser within the first 6 weeks of school.
STEP 2 (now through October 4th)
Goal-Setting Professional Development Plan Conference
- Discuss the vision for professional growth with the appraiser in the GSPD Conference, including a professional development plan for how the goals will be met over the course of the year.
- Specify the types of support needed to meet the goals.
- Identify milestones that will demonstrate progress towards the goals is occurring.
- Specify the evidence that will support goal attainment.
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment." Jim Rohn
STEP 3 (throughout the school year)
Professional Development Plan Implementation
- Regularly monitor your progress toward goals.
- Collect evidence and data which links to the goal(s) and T-TESS Rubric domains, dimensions, and descriptors.
- Discuss progress toward the goals with the appraiser.
- Modify your goals, if necessary, based on appraiser approval.
- Obtain additional supports from the appraiser and/or colleague(s), if needed.
Your appraiser will:
- Establish timelines to periodically discuss the plan with teachers, i.e., staff meetings, grade/department meetings, individual teacher conferences.
- Coach, support and follow-up with requested support from teachers.
- Validate teacher implementation and connect GSPD plan and implementation to informal and formal observations.
- Determine if goal revisions/additions should occur.
Prepare for End-of Year Conference
- Identify the evidence and other data that align with each of the goals and support how the goals were met and/or progress towards the goal(s), including the impact on student performance.
- Organize the GSPD evidence/data prior to the conference and submit these to the appraiser.
- Prepare to discuss the evidence/data, goals, actions, timelines/completion dates, and ways to maintain and/or further develop practices.
- Draft preliminary goals and professional development for the following school year.
- Complete Part II of the GSPD plan, if requested.
Please note: Teachers must submit their GSPD Plan and evidence prior to the end-of-year conference.
"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals." Zig Ziglar
End-of-Year Conference (prior to May 12, 2017)
The purpose is to review and assess goals, professional development, and evidence/data to determine how goals were met and the impact on professional practices and student performance. You will:
- Schedule your EOY conference with your appraiser. Conferences must be conducted at least 15 days prior to the last day of instruction
- Discuss the evidence and data with the appraiser as they relate to the goal(s) and professional development.
- Reflect on changes in knowledge and skills, including the impact on professional practices and student performance.
- Celebrate successes and identify areas to continue learning and refining practices.
- Record lessons learned and apply these in new ways.
The Professional Practices and Responsibilities Domain is rated after the end-of-year conference when the appraiser and teacher meet to finalize the annual appraisal process.
1.Professional Demeanor and Ethics
2. Goal Setting
3. Professional Development
4. School Community Involvement
This meeting will also serve as a Preliminary Goal Setting and Professional Development for the 2017-2018 school year. The purpose is for you to link goals and areas of refinement as a continuous improvement cycle of professional development.