The WES Parent Wildcat Weekly
Home of the Wildcats!
Week of February 15-19, 2021
Hello from Principal Holmes!
Dear Wildcat Parents,
Happy Monday! I hope everyone enjoyed a relaxing Valentine's weekend. Today, as you know, is President's Day and a holiday for students and staff. Enjoy this special time with your family.
Our hybrid, in person, learning continues on Monday, February 22nd. We are looking forward to having our wildcat learners back on campus. Bus information should be the same as in the fall. Virtual learners' schedules will not be impacted as we make this transition into the hybrid model.
Our Read-a-Thon officially kicks off tomorrow. The money raised will go to purchase more books to increase the diversity of books in our school and classroom libraries. Be sure to get your child registered and start recording those minutes. Every wildcat who registers will receive a book to keep. As of today, we have raised $3,500. When we hit the $5,000 goal, I will be dying my hair. The top reader with the most minutes for the school will choose the dye color!
This is Virginia Kindness Week and Random Acts of Kindness Day is on February 17th. I am attaching some calendars and ideas that may be helpful. Although we focus on kindness and good character all year long, we are highlighting kindness this week.
Thank you for all you do to support our wildcat learners. It is through your support and dedication that we can continue to navigate this unique year to ensure our wildcat learners are successful. We appreciate you!
With wildcat pride and spirit,
A Message from our Superintendent Dr. Baker
Below are some announcements and reminders as we look to the week ahead, including reminders of messages sent out earlier in the week:
Announcements & Reminders
As a reminder, Monday, February 15th is a student and teacher holiday.
As a reminder, Monday, February 22nd will be our transition back to full Hybrid In-person Learning Pre-k-12.
The latest Family Connection webinar is available for viewing and focuses on Academic and Career Planning for middle and high school students. Be sure to check it out at https://amsva.wistia.com/projects/7ofldfzadl. As a reminder, previous Family Connection webinars are available for viewing any time using the same link.
At the February 8th School Board Meeting, the Board unanimously approved the 2021-22 Instructional School Calendar. The 2021-2022 Board approved Instructional Calendar is linked here. The Board reserves the right to amend the calendar should it become necessary.
As a reminder, our COVID-19 Dashboard is updated daily and can be viewed in the Return to Learn section on each school’s website or by clicking this link: SCPS COVID-19 Dashboard. Also, on our webpage is a link to the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Dashboard. This site provides data and statistics regarding COVID-19 positivity rates and cases per 100,000 by locality, region, and state.
Important Budget Dates for Information & Engagement:
On February 3rd, the school board held a public hearing, followed by their second FY2022 budget work session. The budget presentation from that evening is linked here.
On February 8th, at the school board’s general monthly meeting, the school board unanimously approved the FY2022 budget. This meeting was held virtually and is linked here.
As a reminder, the below are upcoming important budget dates:
The next step in the budget process is for the School Board to present their approved budget to the Board of Supervisors. The meeting can be watched here on February 23rd at 6:00pm.
Please see the detailed calendar here: FY 2022 Approved Critical Budget Dates.
Please Join Us: School Board meetings can be viewed online at https://www.regionalwebtv.com/spotsysb. Meetings are live-streamed. Recordings of each meeting may be accessed at the same link. Additionally, meetings may be viewed on cable channels: Comcast Channel 17, Cox Channel 18, and Verizon Channel 36.
Congratulations to Ms. O’Leary at Riverbend High School who was selected to be a recipient of the W!se’s 2019-20 Gold Star Teacher Award!
Have a great week!
Dr. S. Scott Baker
What's happening at WES the next two weeks?
Hybrid Reminders and Updates
- Our hybrid learners return to our in-person model on Monday, February 22. 2021.
- Families need to monitor their child daily for symptoms and fever. If your child is sick, please keep them home and call the main office.
- Group 1 will have in-person learning on Monday/Tuesday, asynchronous learning on Wednesday, and distance learning on Thursday/Friday.
- Group 2 will have distance learning on Monday/Tuesday, asynchronous learning on Wednesday, and in-person learning on Thursday/Friday.
- Wilderness continues to implement mitigation strategies to help prevent illness from spreading including social distancing and frequent cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing.
- Students will need to wear a face-covering that covers their mouth and nose and provide their own water bottle.
- Breakfast and lunch continue to be served free daily.
- Classes will have the opportunity to transition to encore classrooms for art, music, PE, and library. We are excited to safely transition students to their encore classrooms with strict cleaning protocols in place between classes.
- If your child is a parent pick up- please make sure you have your curbside car tag. If you need a replacement, please call the office at 540-786-9817.
- Bus information continues to be available in ParentVue.
The Read-A-Thon is Here!
Our Read-a-thon officially kicks off on Tuesday, February 16th. So get your child registered and begin logging those minutes read. You should have already received information about registering your child to participate. Continue to be on the lookout for additional information with weekly challenges and prize opportunities. We look forward to sharing our love of reading together!
Reading Support Videos
Letters b and d
If your child is struggling to tell the difference between the letter b and the letter d, this video may be helpful. Watch one of our reading specialists working with her first grader to help her tell the difference between the letter b and the letter d. https://youtu.be/pllZAoBM23I
This video shares some useful tips about Lexia created especially for parents It was created by our Reading Specialist, Mrs. Torryes. Lexia is a research-based reading program that supports intervention. Check it out here!. https://youtu.be/uKt7DX2bbsc
School Counselor's Corner
For the month of February WES is taking household supply donations of: laundry detergent, dish soap, and any other household cleaning products. All donations can be dropped off in the labeled drop box located in the front of the school. Thank you for supporting our community!
5th grade families! Mrs. Elliott will be sending some information home about Rising 6th Grade Scheduling. I will be helping 5th grade students complete elective scheduling online in the month of February. More information to come.
Interested in food support? At Wilderness on Thursday’s from 12:30 pm - 2 pm our food pantry is available for you. You can also schedule an appointment with Mrs. Elliott or Mrs. Burton (school social worker). To learn more: Food Distribution
Stop by our Wilderness counseling site for resources:
If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email me. I am happy to help!
From Nurse Stevens
Training Announcement: Stress and Stress Management in the Time of COVID-19 and Beyond. Register at: https://tinyurl.com/y2tydmbm
Text Message Nurse Stevens at 540-424-4237 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Text Message Principal Holmes at 540-846-6075 or E-mail: email@example.com
WES School Yearbook 2021- On Sale NOW!
- Please send in pictures of your child/children doing virtual work, playing in the snow, anything appropriate. Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, we are trying to do some aspirations photos: So, take a picture of their child holding up a sign, paper, etc "When I grow up, I want to be a ...."
Send pictures to the same address. Thank you so much for your help.
- Cost is $18
- You can order it online at https://ybpay.lifetouch.com/ (School code is 12502021)
- You can submit pictures to be considered for publishing in this year's yearbook. You may email them to Mrs. Moreyra at email@example.com. Please make sure to include the student's name along with the teacher's name.
- We do not have a delivery date or pick up details yet. Further communication about both will be sent out once we have the information.