Southern Methodist University
In 1932, SMU students would sing “She’ll be loaded with Peruna when she comes” (to the tune of “She’ll be Comin’ Round the Mountain”). Peruna was a Prohibition era “medicine”, which was 18% alcohol. This song caught on, and each horse that was a mascot was named Peruna. The name represents the strong fighting spirit of the school. A horse was chosen as a mascot because they are strong and fast, which is how the athletics program wants to be.
“World Changers Shaped Here”
· During the 2011-2012 season, 8 SMU programs went on to postseason competition.
· Raymond Berry and Eric Dickerson are both Hall of Fame football players who attended SMU.
· SMU played in 4 postseason bowls from 2009-2012.
· Last year, 31 student-athletes were C-USA Academic Medal winners.
· SMU has ranked as the top school in its conference for 11 of the past 15 years in the Directors’ Cup Division 1 overall athletic rankings.