Monthly MOAHPERD Membership Newsletter
2017 MOAHPERD Convention - Here we GROW!
Greetings to all MOAHPERD Members and Missouri HPE Professionals!
I am very proud to say that the schedule for the state convention on November 10-12, 2017, has been finalized. It is a very impressive lineup of presenters from around the state and country. This will be one convention you will not want to miss. There are many quality pre-conferences to choose from on Friday morning, so you may want to plan to arrive Thursday night or early Friday morning. Below are some special events that will add to your experience:
- All Convention General Session w/Joanne Owens-Nauslar (Friday Noon)
- All Convention General Session w/Jim Deline (Friday Evening)
- Winter Olympics Night (Friday Evening)
- All Convention Banquet & Awards Night (Saturday Evening)
- Improv Show (Saturday Evening)
- Best of Missouri TOYs Sessions (Sunday Morning)
- Music & Dance (Friday & Saturday Evening)
Click the link below to view the entire schedule which is live on Sched.
A hard copy with all of the convention highlights can also be viewed and printed by clicking the link below.
Hard Copy of Schedule **Updated 11/07/17** (PRINT THIS AND BRING WITH YOU)
Please invite and encourage your colleagues to attend! I look forward, as always, to seeing everyone at the Lake.
MOAHPERD President (2017)
Invent a Game and Win $1,000 Sportime Equipment Package
Click the following link to submit your idea - https://goo.gl/forms/iPjpCaWTEGq6QZtI2
Joanne Owens-Nauslar Will Be Keynote at General Session
Former AAHPERD President, Dr. Joanne Owens-Nauslar, will be the keynote speaker at the state convention's General Session & Lunch on Friday, November 10th. Dr. Jo has spent 43 years promoting the benefits of healthy, active living. She is considered one of the nation's most vocal personalities on issues of physical activity and the need for physical education in the critical core day. Come see Dr. Jo as we officially kick-off the 2017 Convention at 11:30am in Campan Hall.
2017 President-Elect Candidates -- Your Vote Counts!
As an Association member, we highly encourage your active participation in this process. It is important that our membership be involved in the identification and selection of our leadership.
View the bios of the President-Elect candidates by clicking the links below.
COME MEET THE CANDIDATES AT THE FRIDAY LUNCH GENERAL SESSION.
CPR Requirements in Missouri Schools
Senate Bill 711 Section 170.130 requires that Missouri schools serving grades 9-12 provide it's students instruction in CPR. Below are a few important points to know about this bill.
- The law is implemented in schools in the 2017-2018 school year and subsequent years
- As a graduation requirement, students receive 30 minutes of CPR instruction and training in the proper performance of the Heimlich maneuver or other first aid for choking
- Students with disabilities may participate to the extent appropriate as determined by the provisions of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- The training shall be included in the district’s health or physical education curriculum
- Instruction requires hands-on practice and skills testing to support cognitive learning. Watching a training DVD alone is not sufficient to meet the requirements of the law.
- Resources for training of these skills shall be based on a program established by the American Heart Association, American Red Cross, or another nationally recognized organization’s evidence-based guidelines.
For more information about state requirements for teaching CPR, visit the Health/Physical Education webpage on the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education website.
MOAHPERD will be offering a First Aid/CPR/AED recertification pre-conference session on Friday morning (9:30-11:15am) that will also provide some information about Missouri requirements for teaching CPR and appropriate instructional strategies for doing so with your students. Another good reason to attend the MOAHPERD state convention in November.