Point of View
Excelsior Springs, Missouri
"What the new year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the new year."
---Vern McLellan, Author of Wise Words and Quotes. McLellan is an author, speaker, associate pastor, broadcaster, and musician with a zest for life.
Week of January 6, 2020
Monday, 6:00 pm - City Council considers Liquor License application (Express Stop), Change to Golf Memberships, Rezoning/Final Development Plan for 201 N. Industrial Park Road (Shoemaker Tow Lot), St. Louis Ave. Sanitary Sewer Extension Project bid award to J&N Utilities, & Appropriations.
Tuesday - Communities of Excellence Webinar/Steering Committee discuss inclusion in work/decision-making process.
Wednesday - Missouri Legislators Convene
Wednesday, 5:00 pm - Historic Preservation Commission consider COA for 604 Benton.
Wednesday, 7:00 pm - Clay County Constitution Committee meets @ Woodneath Mid-Continent Library; meet every Wednesday around the county during January & February
Thursday - Communities of Excellence Steering Committee plan community forum; status of Task Force Action Plans
Thursday - MML Webinar - Civility - why it matters and how to get there
Friday - Staff Retreat
Mike Corgiat accepted the Patrol Sergeant position that just opened. Mike had just been promoted to Police OIC and completed qualifications for the position.
Key Project Updates
- DNR issued notice to accept bids for Splash Pad. [Funding: LWCF, Park Foundation, CIP] Why? Grant agency must approve bid documents ensuring grant requirements are met.
- Demolition of 410 E. Broadway is scheduled to start. [Funding: CIP] WHY? E. Broadway Redevelopment Plan stipulates demolition to accommodate renovation of 408 E. Broadway with parking.
- Investors in ES Opportunity Zone will also be eligible for New Market Tax Credits if legislation is renewed past 2019. NMTC investors receive tax credits equal to 39% of Investment, realized over seven-year period, 5% annually for first three years & 6% in years four - seven. [Funding: none] WHY? Provides incentive to attract private investment & business activity.
- Factoid: Fire Department stats for 2019 - 2,276 EMS calls & 288 Fire calls; estimated fire loss $606,350. [Funding: GF] WHY? Resources remain ready & prepared to respond to emergencies.
- Counting everyone once, only once, and in the right place. [Funding: Potential Federal Revenue] WHY? US Constitution mandates population census every 10 years for reapportioning Congress. Census data also used to distribute more than $675 billion in federal funds back to states/local communities every year for services/infrastructure, including health care, jobs, schools, roads and businesses.