First Grade News
January 13 -17, 2020
Dates to Note
January 13 - 17 Hallway Reading resumes
Book bags will start going home
This week is library checkout week.
January 13 - Wear your favorite team jersey
January 17 - Big Kahuna Party Bus
January 20 - Student/Teacher Holiday
January 21 - Hopdoddy Spirit Night, 4:00-6:00 pm
January 23 - Play It Safe presentations
Please remember that it is important for your child to read aloud to an adult each day. After reading once, have them reread the books again to help strengthen their comprehension and fluency skills.
Thank you for making reading a priority every day!
Six Flags Read to Succeed Program
The process has changed this year. Instead of each teacher registering all students in a class, parents of students who are planning to participate will register their own child and will also submit the completed log information directly on the Six Flags website.
Last Wednesday we sent home the unique class code for your child's class, along with the initial log sheet.
Here are more specifics:
- Your child may read any books they choose.
- Keep track of your child’s reading using the provided form.
- Record your child’s reading at the Read to Succeed website.
- If your child reads 6 hours (360 minutes), they are eligible to receive a free Six Flags Over Texas ticket that will be sent to your child's teacher in May.
- Students can optionally earn bonus awards by reading more than six hours. These include discounts on additional tickets for family members, Season Passes, or Memberships.
Important deadline: All logs must be entered on the Six Flags website by March 27.
What We're Learning
Math - Fair shares: equal/unequal parts of shapes to introduce the concept of fractions; halves and fourths
Humanities - Contributions of Martin Luther King, Jr; Goal-setting
Science - Patterns of Objects in the Sky