Memorial School LIbrary
Dear Memorial Friends,
The library program has some exciting opportunities in store for you and your students!
- Our major goal is to instill a passion for reading and learning.
- We will be promoting the very best of children’s literature with lessons and activities designed to help students enjoy stories even more.
- We will be doing our very best to get (or keep) every child “hooked on reading” by recommending specific titles to each student.
- We will be adding almost 200 of the latest and most exciting new titles for our young readers, including quality non-fiction to help meet Common Core requirements.
- Students will learn beginning computer skills.
- We will be working with the Technology Integration Specialist to help infuse technology skills into the curriculum.
- Library lessons will include teaching digital citizenship: students will learn how to use technology safely and responsibly.
- For more information on digital citizenship: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/advice-for-parents/digital-citizenship
- Information Literacy is the set of skills needed to find, retrieve, analyze and use information.
- Information Literacy is embedded in the library curriculum.
- Student questions and curiosity always welcomed and encouraged!
- Grade 1 students will work on their first research project using the Big6 which is a six-stage model to help anyone solve problems or make decisions by using information.
Special Events - here are a few already planned!
- Participating in International Dot Day - September 15ish: http://www.thedotclub.org/dotday/
- Participating in the Global Read Aloud - September 30-November 8: http://www.globalreadaloud.com
- Read Across America (Dr. Seuss) Celebration in March: http://www.nea.org/grants/886.htm
- Award winning author/illustrator Grace Lin will be visiting us in the spring: http://www.gracelin.com
- Poetry Month Celebration in April
- Even more!
Just for Teachers!
Books about starting school:
International Dot Day:
http://pinterest.com/rgroden/international-dot-day/ Please consider joining the celebration.
Books on YouTube:
This board was created for Memorial Parents:
Please note: I will be adding to these boards all year long.
* If you are new to Pinterest, the images act as links. Just click on an image to be taken to a website with more information.
And, one more: The Complete List of 77 Teacher Discounts!!! http://goo.gl/ZAr5e
If you ever have any questions, suggestions, comments, etc., please let me know. Your ideas and feedback are always welcome :)
The Library/Technology Team is very excited about the 2013-14 school year and is committed to making the library your students' favorite place at Memorial School!
Your school librarian