Early Life And Childhood
He was born in Dufemline,Scotland. His, dad Will Canegie struggled to support his family, so Andrew tried helping his family earning $1.20 a week. Later his dad died.
He was 84 when died on August 11,1919.
- Born in 1835 Dunfermline,Scotland
- 1848 Emigrated with his family to United States, settles near Pittsburgh
- 1856 Invests in railroad sleeping cars
- 1861 Invests in oil and other companies
- 1865 Retires from railroad;founds Keystone Bridge Company
- 1872 Visits Bessemer steel plants in England
- 1875 Opens his first steel plant, Edgar Thomson Works, in Braddock PA
- 1881 Assumes control of Frick Coke Compony
- 1883: Buys Homestead Works steel mill.
- 1889: Publishes "Gospel of Wealth."
- 1899: Forms Carnegie Steel from his several steel companies.
- 1901: Sells out to Morgan, becoming richest man in the world.
- 1919: Dies at estate in Lenox, MA.