CPA Tiger Talk
March 20-24, 2023
CPA is Now Enrolling!
Do you have family members or friends looking for a new school community to join? Great news: CPA is now enrolling for the 2023-2024 school year!
One of the best ways people find our school is by word of mouth--and this contributes to the feeling of community that we value so highly. So please send this link to your friends, family members, and neighbors who would like to be part of a community like CPA!
Ethical Principle of March: Hope
Dates to Remember
Monday March 20: Final day of CPA's Book Fair
Tuesday March 21: Middle School Conferences, 4-7pm (in person)
Thursday March 23: Middle School Conferences, 4-7pm (virtual)
Tuesday March 28: ACT Exam for CPA Juniors (see below)
Tuesday March 28: ELearning Day for Grades 9, 10, and 12 ONLY due to the 11th grade ACT Exam (see below)
Tuesday March 28: High School Conferences, 4-7pm (in person)
Thursday March 30: High School Conferences, 4-7pm (virtual)
Monday April 3 - Friday April 7: Spring Break: No School for Staff or Students
Monday April 10: Board of Directors Meeting, 6pm
Tuesday April 18: MCA Testing begins
Thursday May 4: Early Release Day (dismissal at 1pm)
Saturday May 6: CPA's Prom
Thursday May 18: Spring Concert & Annual Meeting, 6pm
Saturday May 20: CPA Walk/Run at Phalen Lake
Apply for Free or Reduced Price Lunch & Other Benefits!
If you haven't already done so, please complete the application as soon as possible. If you prefer a paper copy, please contact the CPA office.
Esera Tuaolo visited 6th grade music and played ukulele with the class!
Esera Tuaolo, aka Mr. Aloha, spoke to the 9th grade about bullying.
Esera Tuaolo signed autographs and took selfies with students before leaving.
Ms. KW's classes celebrated Pi Day with a celebration and pi-themed activities!
During the 11/12 Pi Day Celebration, students made Pi-themed artwork!
CPA students memorized as many digits of Pi as possible. Ameah knows 52!
Ms. O'Rourke's kindergarten students are working hard on their literacy skills!
PreK students have been enjoying playing in the snow during recess.
Mr. Dennis's 8th grade ELA students studied song lyrics related to Fairy Tales!
- 30,000ft Summer Camp Available to Kindergarten-3rd grade students, this program is designed to improve literacy through various art activities and projects to earn fun field trips, learn to garden, and make lasting healthy friendships.
- SPPS Summer Learning Programs SPPS PreK-12 Summer Learning Programs help students strengthen academic and social emotional skills, discover new talents, and recover high school credits. All programs are free and include academic support and enrichment, breakfast and lunch, and transportation. Registration is open. The deadline for PRIORITY registration is April 15.
- St. Paul Parks & Recreation Summer Camps & Activities Saint Paul Parks and Recreation offers summer camps and activities at parks and recreation centers throughout the city. Registration opens April 3, but you can visit the website to browse programs anytime.
- St. Paul Parks & Recreation Youth Summer Sports Youth summer t-ball, machine pitch, softball, baseball, and lacrosse clinic registration remains open until March 31. Programs are free for age 9 and up. Children age 8 and below will receive a free baseball glove courtesy of the Minnesota Twins.
Teen Employment Opportunities:
- St. Paul Parks and Recreation Summer Jobs Saint Paul Parks and Recreation has many full and part time positions available at parks, rec centers, pools, golf courses, athletic complexes, Phalen Park Beach, Como Park Zoo & Conservatory and more. Entry level positions are available for ages 15 and up.
- Tree Trust Youth ages 14-21 are able to earn and learn through hands-on experience working on outdoor construction and landscape projects in local parks and green spaces.
Spring conferences are just around the corner and our staff is looking forward to connecting with you about your child’s progress. Conferences will be held on the following dates:
Elementary Conferences: March 15 & 16
Middle School Conferences: March 21 & 23
High School Conferences: March 28 & 30
Please watch for an email from your child’s teacher with an invitation to sign up for your conference through Sign-Up Genius. Thank you!
11th Grade ACT Exam March 28
CPA 11th grade students have been registered to take the ACT Exam on Tuesday, March 28th at CPA. The ACT is a standardized test used for college entrance. For more information about the ACT, please visit these links:
More information will be shared with 11th grade students and families as we get closer to March 28th. If you have any questions about the ACT at CPA, please contact CPA's Testing Coordinator Aaron Tepp at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-280-4575.
Travel Opportunities for current CPA 9th-11th grade students
Youth Summer Sports with Saint Paul Parks and Rec
Have you heard the news? Saint Paul Parks and Recreation announced that registration fees have been eliminated for youth sports 10U and up (ages 9+) at all recreation center sites. Eliminating these fees allows Saint Paul youth to have access to quality programming, encourages healthy and active lifestyles, builds confidence, and creates community.
Fees do apply for ages 4U, 6U and 8U, but for the summer 2023 season, all registered 4U, 6U and 8U participants will receive a free glove, courtesy of the Minnesota Twins!
Click this link to register online or contact your local recreation center for more information. Community of Peace Academy is not in charge of or affiliated with this program.
Lost & Found
If your family or anyone you know would like support with food resources, below are some options you may find helpful. You can reach out to the CPA Social Work Team for additional resources as needed. Their contact info is below. Thank you!
- Today’s Harvest (Oakdale, MN): https://todaysharvestmn.org
- Indigenous Roots/Sisters Camelot (St. Paul, MN): https://sisterscamelot.org/events/
- Neighborhood House (West St. Paul, MN): https://neighborhoodhousemn.org/programs/food-support/fresh-produce-events/#winter-distro
CPA’s Social Work Team:
Chelle York, Elementary Social Worker, email@example.com, 651-280-4509
Jenny Littlewolf, Middle School Social Worker, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-280-4507
Molly Eller, High School Social Worker, email@example.com, 651-280-4553
After School Program Opportunity!
-On the job coding certificate training to enter high paying tech careers. Teens make $15/hr starting at 10 hours a week. Snacks and transportation provided. Mondays & Wednesdays from 3:30-5:30.
-K-3rd grade literacy tutoring centered in the arts in small groups and one-on-one. Students experience various art forms from professional artists, attend field trips, and receive snacks and transportation. Tuesdays & Thursdays from 3:30-5:30.
For more information or to get registered, visit the 30,000 Feet website or call 651-210-3454
If you have pics of CPA students in action, please share them! Think class projects, field trips, athletics, dances, and more. Ms. Michalak didn't become the yearbook editor until after the fall sports seasons, so we especially need soccer and volleyball photos.
Submit your photos at https://community.lifetouch.com/invite?code=CPATIGERS-23 or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org and include date, names, and grades. Thanks for supporting the CPA yearbook!
Weather & Clothing
Are you looking for an easier way to make payments at school? Create a SchoolPay account!
SchoolPay accounts make it easier to process any payments you need to make to the school, athletics department, or cafeteria. Families can complete the application for free and reduced price lunch through School Pay, and families who receive free or reduced price lunch can also print their determination letter, which can be used to receive discounts at museums, MTC, and more!
Visit the CPA website to learn more and get started!
Every Meal Weekend Meal Bags
If you have any questions or need support, please contact the social work team.
CPA Safety Tip Line
If you prefer, our liaisons will be happy to translate or explain any announcements in Tiger Talk or answer any questions you have about CPA. Contact Maikao Lee at 651-280-4545 (Hmong), Mariana Majil at 651-289-3742 (Spanish), or Paw Nay Bu at 651-280-4591 (Karen) for support.