Volume 1, Issue 13: December 1, 2017
Please take time to look through this newsletter! Your child is coming home with their Report Card! Please read through it and email me if you have any questions or concerns. Much of the information should be similar to what we discussed at our fall conference.
Have a great weekend!
-Ms. Kate Martin
Pictures of the Week
Aly and Blair listen to each other read aloud and coach each other.
Ways Complex Nonfiction Gets Hard
Did you realize all the ways nonfiction is different from fiction?
Ashwith is completing his 2nd enrichment project on the Mexican Culture!
Writing: We started morphing our personal essays into persuasive essays.
Reading: We practiced our fluency when reading nonfiction and uncovered what makes a main idea more complex.
Math: Orange Group: We started our unit on fractions! Blue Group: We focused on correctly solving division problems as we finish our unit. Purple Group: We started learning about interpreting data using different graphs.
Social Studies: We began our geography PBL about the United States.
Enrichment: We are continuing to work on our 2nd enrichment projects. The presentations are due 12/7.
Looking Forward to Next Week
- Math: Orange Group: Continuing fractions unit. Blue Group: Completing division unit. Purple Group: Completing time, measurement, graphing unit.
- Reading: We will continue our nonfiction unit!
- Writing: Writing our persuasive essays.
- Social Studies: We will continue our PBL (Project-Based Learning unit) on Geography in the United States. We will also take a few days to work on our Small Business Day preparations.
- Enrichment: We are finishing our 2nd Enrichment Project. Here's the link to the packet. Students will present in class on 12/7-12/8.
Character Trait of the Week
Small Business Day @ Woodland
Small Business Day is a day for students to sell a good or service that they have created or will provide. Students will need to create all products at home and provide their own supplies.
When and where is it?
All day on December 15th at Woodland Elementary
Why are we doing this?
To supplement our economics unit in Social Studies, and to raise money to cover some of the costs for the Lansing Field Trip. All of the proceeds the students earn on this day will go toward lowering everyone's field trip cost.
Can parents volunteer?
Yes! We'd love to have you volunteer on this day. Please let me know via email if you are interested in helping.
Upcoming Field Trip to AHS's Robotics Lab!
There was a permission slip that came home on Monday. It should have been returned today. (Friday)
Woodland Canned Food Drive
We will again be holding our annual Gleaners canned food drive. Students can bring in canned goods and non-perishable food from Monday, November 27th through Friday, December 15th. The students always enjoy a friendly class competition to see who can donate the most food. (Of course I am SLIGHTLY competitive.....) We will be "weighing-in" the food on Tuesday and Thursday mornings in hopes of belonging to the "One Ton Club" once again this year!
Items needed at Gleaners:
- Boxed pasta, rice & potatoes
- Canned fruits & veggies
- Cereal & oatmeal
- Canned tuna & chicken
- Boxed pancake & muffin mixes
- Peanut butter & jelly in plastic containers
Did you know.....every 4 pounds of donated food can provide 3 meals to a hungry neighbor?
Avondale Art Show
Lansing Field Trip
The Lansing Field Trip is scheduled for Friday, April 13. All 3/4 GT students will attend this field trip with the rest of the Woodland 4th graders.
We will be visiting the Impressions 5 Science Center in the morning and our Capitol Tours are in the afternoon. We will be leaving Lansing by 4pm.
More information and logistics to come.
-Independent Reading: Minimum 20 minutes ***Try to incorporate nonfiction!
-Literature Circles: Reading and "job"
-www.learnzillion.com: Assignments on Google Classroom
-Daily math homework M-Th
- Please check your child's agenda nightly by initialing under "Parent Signature". I will also initial it in the morning to confirm they have written the correct information down.
- Friday Folders: They were sent home today! Please take out all the sheets and return the folder MONDAY.
- Bagel Sales! Pre-Order on Wednesdays of each week. All varieties cost $1, cash only. Bagels are delivered on Fridays.
- Order online at www.scholastic.com and use our class code R3CHK if you need books!
Does your Child Like to Ski? Check out the link below for 4th-5th graders!
Upcoming Important Dates
12/1 Spirit Day/PBIS Assembly
12/2 Holiday Breakfast 8:30-11am
12/7 Lifetouch Candid Photos
12/8 Half Day
12/12 3rd Grade Holiday Concert - All GT Students participate!
12/21 GT Class Holiday Party at 8:45am (Parents welcome)
12/22 AHS Robotics Field Trip (Only GT Students)
12/25-1/5 Winter Break, No School
1/15 MLK, Jr. Day - No School
2/21-2/23 Mid-Winter Break - No School
3/8 1/2 Day
3/9 1/2 Day
3/30 Good Friday - No School
4/2-4/6 Spring Break - No School
4/11 1/2 Day
4/13 Lansing Field Trip (All 4th Grade/GT Students)
5/11 1/2 Day
5/28 Memorial Day - No School
6/14 1/2 Day
6/15 1/2 Day - Last Day of School