New Britton Elementary - February 12, 2016
Dear Bulldog Families,
February is a time for recognition of past leaders and acknowledgement of African-American history. This is a great opportunity to visit the library to discover books about past presidents and the variety of African-Americans who have impacted our lives.
The New Britton family is comprised of and celebrates a wide variety of races and ethnicities. Did you know that we have students and families that speak 27 different languages: English, Spanish,Telugu,Tamil, Arabic, Hindi, Urdu and Japanese, to name just a few. We value all backgrounds and appreciate learning with and from our families. Exposure to a variety of multicultural books is a wonderful way in which our students can broaden their knowledge of other cultures and backgrounds. A website that I use to find diverse titles is:
Many of these books can be found at our public and school libraries.
As always, thank you for partnering with us in education. Have a wonderful weekend!
Mark your calendar!
Catch of the Week
Be there. Be present. Listen carefully to others around you. Be involved with others around you. We practice the FISH philosophy at New Britton: Be There, Make Their Day, Choose Your Attitude, and Play Safely.
The following students are being recognized for exhibiting these elements of FISH philosophy in their classrooms last week:
Kindergarten: Julia Day, Connor Dodge, Faheem Mohaideen, Clayton Williams
First Grade: Naveenaa Kumar, Jimmy Winkler, Rylee Bast, Tessa Marcello, Nick Molter, Aradhana Arvind
Second Grade: Madison Boyer, Sofia Saracino, Kamyah Adams, Pierce Haynie, Trennace Turner, Layla Apple
Third Grade: Maya Jackson, Jaiden Britt, Delaney Miller, Sophia Beeson, Henry Wood, Mayvony Douangmala
Fourth Grade: Zach Thomas, Myra Diehl, Malavika Prasanth, Ellise Jensen, Grace Hamilton, Sravani Katuru
ATTENTION 3RD and 4th GRADE PARENTS – ISTEP part 1 testing will be the during the time period of February 29 through March 11. ISTEP part 2/CCRA (College &Career Ready Assessment) testing done online during the time period of April 18 through May 6. NBE normally tries to get the testing done in the beginning of the time period and more so in the morning so that make-up’s can be done later in that date timeline. As the time gets closer, teachers will send out detailed dates and information to parents.
The Indiana Department of Education has provided parents with some information concerning the testing at the link below:
Teachers will be providing students the opportunity to go online to learn about the new ISTEP/CCRA assessment. Below is the link for you and your child to look over in your home and will give you a chance to see some types of questions that will be on the assessment.
3rd grade parents only – IREAD3 testing will occur on March 14 through March 18. Attendance during these days is very important; please make every attempt to reschedule dentist/doctor appointments around the test dates.
Here are just a few tips for a good start to every morning and they also make for an even better testing situation:
- Get a good night’s sleep. This is important every night!!!
- A good morning at home makes for a good morning at school.
- Eat a good healthy breakfast.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Talk to your students about the test in advance not just the week of the test. Remind them to give their best effort today and everyday. This test is important, but too much stress can be a problem also.
- Encourage your student to listen to the teacher for directions.
- Remind your student that they can figure out tough questions that they have the grit and perseverance to figure it out.
- Encourage your student to think positively – they can do this!!!
- Smile J and tell a funny joke – laughing is good for everyone.
Thanks for your help.
- We would like to send out a THANK YOU to Lisa Steele Hampton for donating the spirits for the Foundations Game Day event basket. We truly appreciate your dedication to HSE schools, especially NBE!
- We are looking forward to the science fair on February 18th and After School Enrichment February 22nd -25th.
- Just a reminder that our spring classroom parties are scheduled for April 15th this year.
- The Walk-A-Thon will be on March 31st during the school day. Packets will be going home for donations in just a few weeks.
1) Click this link to see our Sign-up on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/dfTMm1
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on VolunteerSpot.
Note: VolunteerSpot does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact Kelly Mason at 317-457-0312 or firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
Congratulations to Mrs. Myers's 3rd Grade class! They were our Box Top winners for the month of January.
Game Day '16
Tickets on sale now for the best game in town: GAME DAY 16! Enjoy a casual, adult-only evening with friends, school and community leaders, and Indianapolis Colts Guard Joe Reitz! Proceeds from each $65 ticket are targeted toward innovative teacher grants and spreading STEM programs throughout our 21 school district. Grab your favorite sports jersey and visit www.hsefoundation.org while tickets last. Please see attached flyer for more details.
Bid on New Britton's basket!
African-American Heritage Night
Fishers High School is hosting its annual African-American Heritage Night at 6:30 p.m. on February 18, 2016. This celebration of culture and history not only honors a portion of our student body, but it is a program that is planned by both students and parents in conjunction with FHS administration.
Please see the following link for more info:
Community Activities & Events
- S.P.O.R.T.S News
- Future Tiger Club
- Fishers Library Test Anxiety Program
- Digitizing Historical Photos at Noblesville Library
- Klipsch Summer Jobs
- Fishers Freedom Festival Royal Court
- Fishers Library March 2016
- HEPL Highlights March 2016
- March FYS HEPL newsletter
- Fishers Parks & Rec 2016 Summer Camp Programs
- Spring Softball
- Tiger Night Lights 2016
- YMCA World Fair
- 14th Annual Geofest
- Fishers Parks and Rec travel tips
*Permitted use of school newsletters as required by the Equal Access Act is not an endorsement of this group or this group’s beliefs by Hamilton Southeastern Schools or the Board of School Trustees.