Points of Pride (Week of Feb. 4)
Alief ISD News and Recognitions
Kerr High School student Wayne Wong advanced to nationals after winning first place at the Houston Branch's National Shakespeare Competition.
Wayne received $350 and will receive an all expenses paid trip to New York City to compete on stage at the Lincoln Center on April 29 against 54 other students from across the country.
Alief ISD step teams won top honors at the Junior Stomp Down.
Alief ISD schools recently competed in the World Step Association's Junior Stomp Down at Klein Forest High School.
The Alexander Elementary School’s All Star Boyz Step Team won first place in the elementary division for the second consecutive year.
The Miller Intermediate School Men of Brilliance Step Team won third place in the middle school division.
Congratulations to the Harris County Scholastic Writing awardees! Regional Scholastic art and writing winners will be recognized throughout February and March.
- Albright Middle School - 2 Gold Keys and 4 Silver Keys
- Alief Early College High School - 3 Gold Keys and 3 Silver Keys
- Elsik Ninth Grade Center - 2 Gold Keys and 3 Silver Keys
- Elsik High School - 1 Gold Key
- Hastings Ninth Grade Center - 6 Gold Keys and 3 Silver Keys
- Hastings High School - 6 Gold Keys and 14 Silver Keys
- Holub Middle School - 3 Silver Keys
- Killough Middle School - 1 Gold Key
- O'Donnell Middle School - 5 Silver Keys
- Olle Middle School - 2 Silver Keys
- Taylor High School - 3 Gold Keys and 16 Silver Keys
Alief ISD middle and high school students advanced to state competitions after placing in the Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering Divisional Competition at the University of Houston.
Alief ISD students Roman Medina-Avila (Olle), Alberto Medrano (AECHS), Han Nguyen (Kerr), Abdulbari Agboola (Hastings) and Abel Soto (Hastings) advanced to state competitions after placing first in their respective contests.
Medina-Avila, Medrano and Agboola also received the Halliburton Ace Award for having the highest combined math and science score in their grade level.
Medrano, Nguyen, Damilola Afolabi (AECHS) and Damilare Olukosi (HNGC) received Judges' Choice Awards for creative problem solving.
Other top winners in their respective grade levels include:
- 2nd Place in Math - Hannah Ghebrelul (Kerr) and Haani Mirza (AECHS)
- 3rd Place in Math - Nathan Caro (Kerr), Emily Tran (AECHS) and Joseph Armendariz (AECHS)
- 2nd Place in Science - Nathan Caro (Kerr) and Rahawa Ghebrelul (Kerr)
- 3rd Place in Science - Ibrahim Owonifari (HNGC), Chi Cap (AECHS) and Haani Mirza (AECHS)
The competition was sponsored by ConocoPhillips and Halliburton.
The Alief Early College FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) Robotics Teams advanced to regional competitions after winning first place in their respective categories at the FTC Southwest Houston League Championship.
Alief ISD was featured in the Texas Education Agency's 2018 Annual Report.
Upcoming District Events
Student Holiday/Staff Development Day
Monday, February 18
Spring Break (Student/Staff Holiday)
Thursday, March 21
All Alief ISD Elementary Schools