Hey, Let's Talk Math!
Effective Mathematical Discourse in the Gr6-12 Classroom
Let's talk math. Not just surface and leading questions, but questions with added depth that use targeted, intentional strategies for improved math discussion and results in improved LEARNING in the the classroom. You might be thinking, how in the world do I make this happen in addition to the multitude of expectations I already have? It can be done. Julie Evans, a lead math teacher in the "trenches" at Bloomfield Jr./Sr. High School will be presenting a one-day professional learning session to move participants to broader horizons of discussion for the math classroom and exemplary feedback between teachers and students. Participants can expect to actively learn:
- a working definition of mathematical discourse.
- how to create and facilitate a classroom environment that supports mathematical discourse.
- how to elect and implement appropriate tasks that promote reasoning and problem solving.
- how to integrate the 5 practices for orchestrating productive mathematics discussions.
- how to pose purposeful questions that lead to mathematical discourse.
Friday, Sep. 22nd, 9am-3pm
Southern Indiana Education Center 1102 Tree Lane Drive, Jasper, IN 47546
*All times are Eastern time zone.
*Lunch is included with the registration.
*Each participant will receive a certificate for 6 Professional Growth Points.
*All participants should bring a laptop to use during the session.
*Registration fee is $110 per person for ESC members ($154 nonmembers)
*See registration form below.