8th Grade ELA News
December 14th, 2015
Our Learning Targets
Our goals this week are:
- Analyze video clips and identify how the concepts/characters/themes are similar to House of Scorpion
- Understand the concept of artificial intelligence and describe how artificial intelligence is used in House of Scorpion.
- Create an Instagram account for a character in House of Scorpion.
- Provide textual evidence to support claims.
- Midterms for Reading, Math, Science, and Social Studies are this week.
- Create inferences by using foreshadowing examples from the text.
- Students should be reading at least 30 minutes per night.
Beta Club is collecting canned goods to help support the families in our community during this holiday season.
8th Grade ELA Overview
During each unit, students will explore the elements of effective writing, read and analyze fiction and nonfiction, and develop reading strategies. Students will examine literature from the perspective of a writer and use their study of literature to improve their own writing. Students will improve their vocabulary through a variety of activities. Utilizing mentor sentences, students will analyze grammatical structures in writing. Students will maintain a portfolio to demonstrate their growth in language arts. Reading, writing, language, viewing, speaking and listening skills will be developed through a variety of individual and group assignments.