By: Lauren, Owais, Vickey, Haris, Jasmine, Brandon
What is communism?
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the uneven division of blessings, while the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal division of misery." -Winston Spencer Churchill
Pros. of Communism
- No social gap
- Very low unemployment rates
- Government protection
- No stress regarding choosing a job, because the government will choose one for you
Cons. of Communism
- High poverty rates
- Little to no economic growth
- Government censors/ has control over what you see and are exposed to
- High government intervention
- Strict laws
- The "Human voice" is rarely heard because there is no right for freedom of speech
- Religious persecution
-Social injustice - high-working, successful workers are paid insufficiently for the work they do in order to achieve no social gap. This can be a good thing for those who's incomes are under average, but is bad for the people who work hard to make above the average income.
"The harder to succeed the greater the reward but when a government takes all the reward away; no one will try or succeed"
Communism in Cuba
- there is very little serious crime
-half of the population survives on $1 a day
-adequate roads served by an inadequate public transport system
-obligation to listen to the leader's speeches (control over exposure to media)