Week of April 6, 2020
A Note from Mrs. Mitchell...
With the governor's extension of the shelter-in-place, we are about to transition from Act of God Days to Remote Learning Days on Tuesday, April 6. Monday is a non-attendance day for students as this day will be used for teachers to plan. As stated in Dr. Sullivan's email, Remote Learning Days will be different than the recent Act of God Days in that participation will now be expected and assignments will now be graded for middle and high school students. Teachers will contact parents on Tuesday with information about what to expect during remote learning.
Per Dr. Sullivan's email, parents are encouraged to access the district website for more information. The website includes a Remote Learning Plan that I strongly encourage you to read in its entirety, as this will help you understand expectations moving forward. Information specific to Indian Prairie expectations for middle school can be found on page 18.
I ask that all members of the Gregory Community understand that this is new territory for us all. You will hear me continue to communicate common themes of grace and flexibility during this unprecedented time. As stated by Dr Sullivan, "A focus on keeping children emotionally and physically safe, fed, and engaged in learning should be our first priority." The same holds true for our staff members.
I would like to welcome our students back, and we are looking forward to connecting with them again on Tuesday!
Remote Learning Communication
- Teacher Google Classrooms: Each teacher will be providing information and instruction to students through this avenue. Google Classroom pages can be accessed through students Chromebooks. Please ask your student to walk you through this process.
- Admin Google Classroom: Administration will be engaging and connecting with students through our own Google Classroom page. The access code for our page is zfudsxs.
- Zoom Meeting Calendar: This is what teachers will be using to schedule Zoom meetings throughout the week. They will continue to update it in real time.
- Counselor Website: Our new guidelines for remote learning require us to ensure that students' social emotional needs are being addressed above anything else. Teachers will be keeping this in mind as they deliver content and instruction during the coming weeks. In addition, Mrs. Leibfried will continue posting daily happiness challenges and providing other helpful SEL resources.
- District Communication: Communication from the district level will be emailed consistently from Dr. Sullivan. All of these updates will be available on the District Website.
- The Frontier: This newsletter will be sent on Fridays each week. You will no longer receive a monthly Principal's Newsletter, rather The Frontier will include a brief note from the principal each week. We recommend that you bookmark this website as updates will be made weekly in real time.
GMS Administrators Take on "Spring Break"!
PTA Officer Nominations
As you may have read over the past few weeks in the PTA newsletter and The Frontier, the Nominating Committee is looking to fill positions for the PTA Executive Board for the 2020-21 school year.
We know there is a lot of uncertainty with school being closed, but we are still planning for next year! Our immediate need is focused on finding the next President(s) of the PTA. The position currently would require 6-10 hours per month depending on the level of experience and time of the year. You would be able to meet regularly with Principal Mitchell as well as Dr. Talley, Superintendent of 204 schools for next year. Our current Co-Presidents are willing to discuss their responsibilities and time involved with their positions. Leigh Ann Haller – email@example.com and Kristen Milani - firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks so much for considering!