Central Road Chronicles
Staff Communication: Please Review 8/9/2021
A Note from Joanna and Lauren: We are Stronger Together!
Institute Day is right around the corner! We have a robust agenda for teachers on both days. We will start by having breakfast sponsored by our PTA available for you on Monday, August 16. Please come to the MPR at 8:00 a.m. for the start of our day with building based activities. We will break for lunch (on your own) at 10:30 a.m., and will allow for an additional half hour of travel time to Willow Creek Church. The afternoon will begin promptly at 12:00 p.m. with Administrator Introductions led by Dr. Laurie Heinz. Please make sure you are in your seat at 12:00 p.m.! The keynote speaker, Manny Scott, will begin at 1:00 p.m. Our first day together will end at 2:30 p.m.
On Tuesday, August 17, our day will begin at 8:00 a.m. and allow for some preparation time before Meet the Teacher. Meet the Teacher will begin at 8:30 a.m., and end at 9:30 a.m. All entering our building should be wearing masks. In our recent parent communication, we have asked families to limit the number of family members who will be attending. We also will sell assignment notebooks during this time outdoors (weather permitting). We will take a short break and allow for a transition to the MPR. We will have a building based meeting until 11:30 a.m. Lunch will be provided for you at 11:30 a.m., in the MPR. We invite all of our staff to voluntarily join us for lunch on Tuesday! After lunch, all teachers will meet in the MPR where we will learn about MTSS in District 15 until 2:30 p.m.
Our PTA is holding a Back to School event on Monday, August 16th from 5:00-8:00 pm. They have secured a Funnel Truck and menu items will be available for purchase. Families will be able to 'grab and go' or stay to eat. Please feel free to stop by if you can but we understand this is a busy time of year as we prepare for the school year.
This will be the first of several beginning of the year communications. As we get information from Dr. Heinz, clarifying our next steps related to Covid-19, we will share it with you so we all get the correct information in a timely manner. Dr. Heinz stated that reopening plans will be shared at the August 11 board meeting. After this meeting, the reopening details will be clearer for all of us. We kindly ask for your flexibility and patience as guidance will most likely continue to change throughout the school. This will involve us having to pivot as needed.
While we know that everyone is anxious to have everything in place and questions answered, our singular focus at this time is the core curriculum and the successful opening of our school and district. Please note some of our plans that have been identified as we start off the school year. Face coverings/masks will be worn during school. Physical distancing of students is 3 feet in the classroom/cafeteria when eating. A yard stick is great for measuring 3 feet of distance. Locker use is acceptable. We are able to hold video production/announcements prior to Labor Day. If clubs, athletics or extracurriculars are going to occur, they will not begin until after Labor Day at the earliest. At this time, Parent Orientation Night is still planned to be in person unless additional guidance is provided. We will be holding off on indoor PTA events, field trips and assemblies for now. Outdoor PTA events are acceptable. We will continue to limit visitors into our building. PTA meetings will occur virtually or in person as students are not present in the building during PTA meetings. We are working on finalizing our specials schedule and noon hour plan. We will share them both later this week in draft form so you have time to review them and ask questions. Please just know they may be subject to change. Lastly, teacher assignments and transportation bus routes are both viewable to parents in IC at this time.
I want to let you know about a staffing change. Adriana Temple will be joining us at this time as our bilingual interventionist. Brenda Galazra has been re-assigned to another D15 building and we wish her all the best. Thank you for welcoming Adriana to Central Road. We too will be filling a social worker position as Maureen Filantres will no longer be with us 2 days a week.
We have ordered additional purple Central Road polo shirts. If you do not have one, please stop by the office to pick one up for yourself. We have ordered extras.
If you have not done so already, please kindly take a moment to complete our Fun Fact Form. We hope to hold a fun, getting to know activity on Institute Day. Fun Fact Form.
We have continued to appreciate the summer pop-ins. Please keep them coming! Putting names to faces and getting to know each of you a bit more is very important. Every time one of you stops by, I feel a bit more settled at Central Road. It means more than you know!
We thank you in advance for all your hard work in preparing for students to walk into our building in the coming week(s). Your dedication, flexibility, patience, and excitement has already made a great impact and will continue to do so! We are very thrilled to be working together for the good of our community! We are stronger together!
- Wednesday, August 11th Kindergarten Teddy Bear Play Date 3:30-4:30 pm CR Playground
- Wednesday, August 11th Board of Education Meeting 7:00 pm
- Friday, August 13th EPNRC Backpack Bash-see flyer below
- Monday, August 16th & Tuesday, August 17th-Institute Day/No Student Attendance
- Monday, August 16th PTA Sponsored Outdoor Back to School Event-My Funnel Truck will be selling yummy treats 5:00-8:00 pm. Please pop by if you are able to. More details coming soon!
- Tuesday, August 17th Meet the Teacher (in-person) 8:30-9:30 am
- Wednesday, August 18th First Day of School (Grades 1-8)
- Thursday, August 19th First Day of School for students in kindergarten and ECDEC
- Wednesday, September 1st Parent Orientation Night Grades K-6
- Wednesday, September 1st Smile-It is Picture Day
Health and Safety (Subject to Change)
As we all know, COVID guidance is continually changing. Our District health department is monitoring the metrics and guidance from multiple agencies and will provide specific details regarding student expectations as we get closer to the start of the school year. Here is what we know as of now;
- Good hand washing and using hand sanitizer during the school day will continue to be encouraged
- Students are to be seated 3 feet apart from one another in the classroom (yard sticks are helpful for measuring)
- Student will seat 3 feet feet apart when eating. We will use a combination of the classrooms and the cafeteria as we start off the school year. Specific schedule forthcoming
- Please remove any unnecessary furniture/materials from the classroom if needed to accommodate student desks and 3 feet of spacing
- We will no longer be taking temperture checks each morning
- Locker use is acceptable
- Shield (Covid) testing will take place 1x a week for students whose families have opted into this opportunity. More to come on specific details.
3rd and 4th grade students will receive 1:1 chromebooks that will go home nightly this year. These Chromebooks will be distributed on the first day of school by LITs, Instructional Technology Coordinators, and the technology department. One of them will be at our building to assist. However, they will need additional assistance with putting cases and labels on the Chromebooks. Jean Sasaki will be working on the distribution of materials with their support. Distribution will be the first day of school. We will share more about our distribution plan as it becomes available.
Clever Badges and Logging in
Students in grades k-2 will receive Clever Badges for logging into their Chromebook. Grades 3 and 4 will receive log in cards (not Clever) during distribution. Mrs. Rogers can run class Chromebook logins for classes in grades 3-8 if needed. Logins can be found in Infinite Campus as well.
Teaching and Learning
- Readers notebooks and math books are being delivered to classrooms. Please ensure you have enough for your students. If extras are needed, please let Lauren know.
- Picture of Readers Notebooks
- We will be holding an optional, virtual PA meeting on Friday, August 13th 11:00-12:00 pm Meeting Link
- We have an open clerical position. If you know anyone who may be interested in applying, please have them visit our district website and have them call our school office. We are seeking someone who speaks Spanish if possible.
- Once PAs begin their work on August 18th, please note that each ESPA member will have two-15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch each day.
Community Outreach and PTA
- Our PTA is holding a Back to School event on Monday, August 16th from 5:00-8:00 pm. They have secured a Funnel Truck and menu items will be available for purchase. Families will be able to 'grab and go' or stay to eat. Please feel free to stop by if you can but we understand this is a busy time of year as we prepare for the school year.
- Backpack Bash Friday, August 13, 4 p.m.-5:30 p.m. @Algonquin Pkwy Apartments, 2260 Algonquin Pkwy Rolling Meadows, IL, 60008