Monday, May 16, 2016
It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.
Teacher Appreciation Week
I hope everyone had received some token of appreciation from a student or parent last week.
You are in a special position to positively impact the lives of children, which brought you into this profession. You hold the unique power to lift all students up and to promote a love of learning.
If you weren't thanked, THANK YOU! You are appreciated each and everyday.
FOCUS in 2016-2017
Our Academic Transformation Plan remains the backbone of our work. Our goal is to increase student growth and progress towards college and career readiness and we do that through F.O.C.U.S. I am meeting with members of our 2016-2017 School Improvement Team on Monday to discuss plans for next school year. I am asking them to develop a mantra to guide our work next year.
Our work will focus upon the learner as we continue to make connections to F.O.C.U.S. We are going to use mid-day collaboration differently next school year. Certified staff will meet as groups and we will have focused learning sessions. For example, in September we will do a book study that culminates in a visit from the author of the book that we will read (September 23). After the book study we will focus on ways to meet the needs of diverse learners (special education, gifted, and second language learners). We will focus on what learning looks like and what our learners need to work in an optimal learning environment. PLC meetings will carry that same focus on the learner as the work relates to our advancement as educators. Cyndi will join all PLC meetings next year. Nicole DeLambo will join third through sixth grade PLC meetings, which will be held on Thursday.
You have been sent dates for Hispanic Heritage Month and Black History Month. Open the calendar for information and suggestions to integrate activities into the school day.
Teacher To Do Items
- All self-reflections are complete. If you haven't met with me, please see Lynda to schedule a time when you can share your self-reflection.
- Get the most out of your time with Michelle Stone!
- Begin working on class lists. TEACHERS, IF YOU ARE AWARE OF A STUDENT WHO IS NOT RETURING AND NOT ON THE LIST I GAVE YOU, CAN YOU PLEASE LET LYNDA KNOW? WE NEED TO VERIFY THEIR STATUS. Classroom teachers will place their recommendations on chart/butcher block paper. They will present them to everyone on 5/23. A carousel feedback structure will be used where grade levels post their lists around the LRC (on lockers) and others share input as we go around to each class list.
- Complete STAR and AIMSweb testing. Double check to make sure all students are complete by Friday (all make-ups are done).
- Update student goal sheets and celebrate the attainment of those goals. Did we live up to our mission and vision (see below)? If so, what do you attribute that success to? If not, what impeded our ability to ensure growth and how do we alter future practice?
- K-2 - Complete your awards for each student for June 2.
A Glance at the Week Ahead
Monday - Inez Berman's Birthday!!!
Monday - 2016-2017 School Improvement Team
Monday - I will be out in the afternoon (KIDS Training)
Monday - Certified Staff Meeting - Self-Reflection
Tuesday - I will be out in the morning - Admin Meeting
Tuesday - Book Fair Preview
Tuesday Night - Pinot and Paint!
Wednesday - I will be out all day - Next Generation Science Committee Meeting
Wednesday - Friday - Book Fair
Inspiring Education and Innovation
In partnership with family and community, Woodridge School District 68 provides a comprehensive educational foundation for all children in a safe, caring environment, preparing them to be productive, responsible, and successful members of society.