Class Newsletter: August 31, 2015
American Government and AP World History classes
Welcome to Georgia Virtual School!
The class newsletter will be sent bi-weekly throughout the semester. Information on upcoming due dates, extra credit opportunities, and a hodgepodge of everything else will be included in the newsletters. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions!
Grades have recently been updated for students following the 18 week schedule. Our next bi-weekly due date for students following the 18 and 16 week schedules..........September 10th!
Dana A. Bauries, M.S.
Instructional Lead Teacher and Master Teacher, Social Studies
Georgia Virtual School
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
Stay updated about GaVLTwitter/ Facebook/ Pinterest/ YouTube
National Society for High School Scholars
GaVS would like to make students aware of an excellent opportunity should they receive an invite to join the National Society for High School Scholars. The mission of NSHSS is to recognize academic excellence. Founded in 2002 by the Nobel foundation NSHSS is dedicated to advance the goals and aspirations of high-achieving students as they progress from high school to college to careers through unique learning experiences, scholarships, internships, international study and peer networks. Learn more about NSHSS....
Online brochure - Click HERE
Please note this is not a GaVS organization.
Students must be invited to join.
GAVS Late Work Policy
Work turned in after the deadline on the course schedule will be accepted within 3 school days following due date with a late penalty assessed.
Late penalty begins on Friday and is deducted at a rate of 10% of the assignment value per school day.
Work submitted on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is considered 1 day late. Monday is considered 2 days late (-20%). Tuesday is considered 3 days late (-30%). After Tuesday, assignments will no longer be accepted for credit.
Synchronous Session Policy
- Weekly synchronous sessions will be held every Tuesday night at 8:00pm.
- Students will have the opportunity ask questions during this time.
- Over the next several weeks, information on school policies and procedures will be discussed pertaining to the new school year.
- Synchronous sessions are optional but recommended!
- Click HERE to join Mrs. Bauries's Synchronous Session
Getting Started at GAVS!
1. Email: Check your GaVS O365 Email Account. The directions are located in the class Bulletin Board. https://outlook.com/owa/gavirtualschool.org
2. Assignment schedules and due dates: Assignment schedules are located in class under "Course Information". Click on the link to access the course schedule. You will also need to PRINT your course schedule and have it in front of you as you are completing class assignments.
3. Where do I submit my work? Review the bold assignments on the course schedule/syllabus. These are the assignments that you will be required to submit for a grade. You will either submit assignments to the dropbox, participate in the class discussion forum or take a quiz/test. If you click on Assessments, you will find the Dropbox, Discussion forum, and Quizzes section of the course.
4. Where Do I Find Information and Assignments? The Content is where you will find the individual units for the course. The content contains notes, vocabulary, activities, practice activities, and assignment directions. Click Course Materials then Content: Located in the top toolbar.https://students.ga.desire2learn.com/d2l/le/content/423284/Home
5. Class Discussion Forum: Participate in the class Welcome Discussion. Click on Assessments and then go to Discussions. Post a new thread and respond to two of your classmates' posts! https://students.ga.desire2learn.com/d2l/le/423284/discussions/List
6. Class Notebook: Keep a notebook and take notes as you work through the content. Write down vocabulary, important concepts, people, places, events, or anything that is relevant to the unit. This will help you study for quizzes and tests!
7. Synchronous Class Session: Our first synchronous class session will be held on Tuesday, August 3rd at 8:00 pm. Click the link below to attend!
If you are unable to attend, you may access the recordings for the sessions by clicking on the meeting link under "User Links" on the homepage of the course.
D2L Help Sessions: All Students are Invited to Attend!
You are cordially invited to join us on Adobe Connect for a quickstart to navigating your Fall 2015 GaVS course. We will discuss everything you need to know. Learn NEW and EXCITING tips. All sessions are recorded. Recording links posted here after each live session. Attendees will receive a training certificate for their participation and attendance.
Tuesday, August 18 at 11am
Thursday, August 20 at 7pm
Tuesday, September 1 at 11am
Thursday, September 3 at 7pm
Tuesday, September 15 at 7pm
Enter the meeting as a Guest.
Type your first and last name.
Session Link: Adobe Brightspace Help Classroom
Join us and become a Brightspace expert!
I hold valid Georgia, Florida, and Alabama teaching certifications in Science 4-8, Math 4-8, and Social Studies 6-12. In addition, I hold Advanced Placement Certificates in World History and Economics (Micro and Macro). I have professionally taught these subjects in various combinations for a total of eighteen years, both in the face-to-face and online classroom.
I enjoy learning about new technologies and how they are implemented into online courses in order to improve student achievement. I love teaching and want ALL my students to be successful!