Dog & Kitty City
By: Bushra Rahman and Summaiyah Karim
- Anthony Douglas William
Dog & Kitty City is operated by the Humane Society of Dallas County. Our purpose is to provide a safe and healthy environment for the indigent, abused and neglected animals of Dallas. Our shelter provides a service in educating the Dallas community on responsible pet ownership. Dog & Kitty City has operated for over 30 years as a no kill animal shelter. We are a 501.c3 non profit organization and do not receive any tax support. We rely solely on private donations. Our service to the animals depends completely on the generosity of the community and on committed, dedicated volunteers.
We subscribe to a true no-kill philosophy-- none are "too ugly to adopt." We do not screen requests, except to provide better information about rehoming-- e.g., old animals do not do well in shelters and owners should do everything in their power to find alternate accommodations. We only refuse on the basis of no room. We accept the responsibility of spay/neuter, shots, behavioral adjustment. It is one of the reasons we ask for a surrender fee -- to help absorb the cost.
- Rescuing and ministering to the indigent animal population
- Providing shelter, love and medical care for all of our animals until they find a loving home
- Promoting responsible pet ownership
- Providing on-going adoption support services to ensure a lifetime commitment from pet owners
- Eliminating animal cruelty through education
- Helping to reduce animal over-population by providing services such as low-cost spay-neuter
- Fostering a respect for all life
At Dog & Kitty City, we spay or neuter all of our animals before adoption, as we believe this policy will help decrease animal over-population. We test cats for Feline Leukemia and FIV, and our dogs for heartworm. Both are tested for parasites. All necessary vaccinations, medications and heartworm preventative are given as required. We also have "special needs" cats, Feline Leukemia and FIV cats, available. They are extremely lovable cats who can live long and happy lives.
Dog & Kitty City is a small shelter, with limited space for both dogs and cats. As a no-kill shelter, we do not euthanize harder to adopt animals to make room for new arrivals, but rather any animal coming into our care has a home for life. As such, many of our current pets are sanctuary animals.
- You can become a member of Dog & Kitty City and support the animals
- You can donate items online
- The animals are kept in large open rooms rather than cramped cages
- You can become a "Guardian Angel" and donate every month to "hard to adopt" animals"
- If you use GoodSearch.com as your search engine and put Dog & Kitty as your cause, they'll donate every time you search something up
- Immanuel Kent